39- in the moment

Aylin's POV

"Happy birthday!" I engulf Luke in a big hug before handing him the gift bag.

"Thanks!" He grins, looking snazzy with the added suspenders draped over his white shirt, "Zayn couldn't make it?"

"Sadly, no. He works Saturday shifts now too, so he's knackered." I roll my eyes playfully, "But the gift is from both of us."

Since I had no knowledge of video games, I dragged Zayn with me to the mall where we took ages to decide which one to buy. I didn't think that there were so many specifics to consider, nor was I aware that video games are that expensive.

He claimed it's only pricey when it's really worth it, in which I argued that it's 'just a game'. Clearly that was a mistake, as he went off about the time and effort put into graphic improvements and the overall development. The fact that he was going out of his way to correct me while pushing his glasses up his nose was both amusing and endearing. What a geek.

"Aw, that's a pity. Oh well! Glad you're here." He places his hand to my upper back, guiding me through the place.

Upon entry, there's curtains which lead us into what looks like a palace. I assumed we'd be in one section- but it seems most of the building is the party.

"Whoa. Your dad's friend really went all out." I gape at the fire performance right by the lit up infinity pool upstairs. I'm itching to comment that this must have cost him.

"Let's just say he owed my dad a favour." He winks at me before grabbing two glasses from one of the caterer's trays. He hands one to me and clinks his glass to mine, "Cheers!"

"Wine?" I take a sip, "Ooh."

"There you are!" A group of people I don't recognize approach us, collectively hugging Luke.

He introduces them as his old college friends and me as his work friend, then they're dragging him off with them, leaving me to follow behind until I decide to give them their time with him. Since the fire dancers seem pretty entertaining, I walk over to one of the empty canopy beds with my glass in hand.

Every one of them is fit; their robust torsos covered in glitter with silk curtain dancers gracefully performing acrobatics on the sides. Once I've finished my glass, I start recording a short video to forward to Zayn since he's missing out on an extravagant evening.

I sigh. I really didn't want to come here without him, but he's stated why he didn't want to tag along. I completely understand his reasoning- but a part of me feels slightly hurt, even though I shouldn't be.

We spend enough time together as it is, but Zayn's usually the one who suggests we spend quality time doing anything. It seems strange that he'd turn this down without a second thought- but again, his reasons were valid and I can't be the only thing his world revolves around. That wouldn't be fair.

A caterer approaches with another tray and takes my first glass and replaces it with a filled one.

"Thank you." I smile before slowly sipping the red wine.

"Space for one more?"

I look up to match a face to the voice. He's tall and dressed in a well-fitted, grey suit. I nod to be polite since the bed can seat a bunch of people and saying no would just be rude.

"Go for it." I place my glass down.

He sits down a small space away from me and downs his drink, then looks my way, "I'm trying not to get carried away, but an open bar can never be a good idea."