88. sunday, january 2017

"It truly was the best birthday I've had in a long time. You topped last year." Alex winked as they walked down the road. They had one final stop before they set off back to London.

Alex was trying to distract Luna by telling her how much of an amazing person she was but he knew it was hard for her whenever they came to visit her fathers grave. Normally, they would enter, place some flowers down, have a moments silence and then leave until the next time. It was different this time and they could both feel it.

They entered the graveyard and walked hand in hand up the path to where the grave had been placed. Luna stood in front of it and stared at it, the flowers still firmly in her grip.

"I'll give you a moment." Alex said, kissing her head and walking away. He stood behind a tree so he could still watch her but not have his presence felt.

Luna squatted in front of the grave and gently placed the flowers down next to his name. She bit her lip and took a deep breath.

"I have so much I want to tell you." She breathed. "I just want to tell you everything." She let a tear slip out but wiped it quickly. "I want you to meet Alex, properly, I've never wanted you to be here more than now. You would love him, he's just perfect and really cool. I wish I could show you the ring and eventually my dress. I just wish you could walk me down the isle." She broke down, placing her hands over her eyes.

Alex, having heard the whole thing, decided it was the right time to walk over and comfort her. He knelt down next to her and wrapped an arm softly around her. She wrapped her arms around him and cried into his shoulder. It broke Alex's heart to hear her cry much less feel it.

Luna pulled away and wiped her tears. Alex helped her with his thumbs, kissing her head in comfort. She gave him a small smile.

"I'm okay. Thank you." She stood up and he followed.

"I know it's got to be hard to go through this without him but he'll be watching." He soothed. She nodded.

"I just wish you had met him." She looked at the grave again. Alex followed her gaze and took a deep breath, turning his feet to face it.

"Hello sir." He said to the grave. Luna watched him in awe. "I'm Alex Turner, you may know my mother Penny, she used to come to your bakery all the time." He put his arm around Luna. "I'm very much in love with your daughter and if it's alright I'd like to marry her. For some reason she agreed to and I promise I will take care of her and let her take care of me for as long as I live." He said. Luna started to well up again. "I hope you approve of me. I really want what's best for your daughter because she might be the most fantastic person I've ever met in my entire life."

Luna put her hand on his shoulder and pulled him down to kiss his cheek. Her tears falling on his leather jacket.

"Thank you" she whispered. He put his arm around her and pulled her in for a hug.

"I swear I will be the best husband to you, I won't let you or your dad down." The word husband hit him like a ton of bricks, a mix of nervousness and excitement stirred in his stomach. Luna nodded and kissed him lightly a few times. She wiped her tears and smiled widely at him.

"Shall we get going?" She asked, he nodded and they started walking back to the house where the car was.

They walked in comfortable silence hand in hand down the street. Luna's mind was racing. She was starting to process the engagement properly and the fact there would be a wedding and a legal situation. Alex could feel her stress radiate off her and tried not to panic.