neglected//g.d

(third person pov)

"Please, honey, please, mama just needs to study, okay?" you whispered to the little girl in your lap. "Here, you want my phone- take my phone," you whispered.

She took it gratefully and you sighed, trying to go back to your questions. Finals. Finals were next week, and as soon as those were done, you'd be graduating.

You couldn't even go to prom, because of this one.

"Mama?" You sighed as you looked back at the one-year-old in your lap.

"Yes?"

"Game?"

"You play."

"Mama, game?"

"Aileene-"

"Hey." You looked up at the boy sliding into the seat across from you. You'd hoped by coming to the library to study, she'd at least behave herself in public. You smiled at him as Aileene stared. "Hi," Gray waved to her. She waved and went back to your phone. You nodded and went back to your work.

He stared at you for a moment before pulling out his own work to study. You glanced at him for a second before smiling to yourself. He was cute. Aileene began to squirm in your lap and you sighed, moving her to the seat next to you. "Studying for finals?" he asked. You looked up.

"Yeah," you sighed. "You too?" He nodded.

"But, I'm mostly done, I just have one more tomorrow." You nodded.

"Lucky you." He nodded and Aileene tried to crawl back into you. "Please, sweetheart, I'm trying to study." She began to whine and cry and you sighed, shaking your head.

"I can watch her," the guy offered. You looked up. "I'm Grayson."

"Oh-" you looked back at the one-year-old, tugging at your hair. "No, it's okay-"

"I can watch her for you, I don't mind, really, she's cute." You smiled as she sat back in her chair, arms crossed as she began to wail. "We can go over there- see that castle, wanna play?" he asked her, pointing at the play area. She looked back at it.

"Play, mama?" she asked you. He frowned.

"She just-" You picked her up and stood on your hip. "I thought you were her sister or something," he mumbled.

"No, uh- I'm her mom." You carried her to the playroom and she squealed as you walked in. There was a librarian there supervising, other kids already playing. "You wanna play here?" you asked. She nodded, wanting to be put down.

"I can watch," Gray said. You turned to him. "If you like, watch my stuff over there." You nodded. It wasn't like you knew or trusted him, but there was a librarian present. And if it kept her from bugging you, you'd take it.

"Thank you." He shook his head. "Uh- her name's Aileene, and if she starts to fuss, just leave her alone, she'll be fine in a few minutes. If not, bring her back." He nods.

"Sure, okay, I'm sure we'll be besties." You smiled. "Thank you, Grayson- oh, I'm y/n."

"It's nice to meet you, y/n."

---

"Hey," Gray yelled from the kitchen. The girls kicked off their shoes and headed in.

"Hey, dad," Aileene says. Gray smiles at her and finishes up with his smoothie.

"Can I have some?" Allison asked. Gray nods. "Oh no no, did you put dates in there?"

"Sure did-"