thunderstorm//e.d

(third person pov)

He sighed, looking out the window, checking his phone once more. Nope, no text from y/n. It was early in the morning in Paris anyway. He went back to his stupid papers.

The rain was hitting the window pretty nicely, the sound really pretty, yet, scary at the same time, with the thunder rumbling not far away. E tried to count to see how far it was, but kept losing track.

Also, he had taxes to work out.

After quite some time of thunder, the lightning began. He stared out the window, just as he heard feet run into the kitchen. "Did you see that, dad?" Spencer asked. E smiled.

"The lightning?" Spencer nodded, walking into the kitchen where E was sitting. "Sure did- it wake you up?"

"No I couldn't sleep," he mumbled. Ethan smiled at the seven year old.

"No? It's almost ten, bud." Spencer shrugged, getting into a chair.

"Whatcha doin'?" E smiled.

"Adult stuff." Spencer frowned, not liking this answer. "Come on, back to bed, you've got school tomorrow."

"That's not fair- I wanna help," he mumbled, reaching for E's pen. Ethan sighed, holding it away. That's when Mara came running in too.

"Daddy!" the five year old screeched. "Ddi you see the pretty lights, daddy?" Ethan smiled as she held her arms up, pointing out the kitchen window.

"That's lightning, cookie," he explained, standing. He stretched his arms, and his t-shirt rode up. Mara tugged at it. "Come on, you guys have school tomorrow," he sighed, picking the little girl up.

"I'm hungry," Spencer complained. E sighed. "When's mom coming home?"

"Can we talk to mommy, daddy?" Mara asked. E shook his head.

"In the morning, okay? She's sleeping right now- just like you should be." He pulled open the fridge as she giggled. "How about some oat milk and you head straight back to bed?" They nodded.

"Do we have to brush our teeth again?" Spencer asked. E smiled.

"Yes." He frowned as he poured them both a glass of milk. He put Mara down so she could drink it. "See, now you won't be hungry." Thunder rumbled again and Ethan sighed, hoping the toddler upstairs would stay asleep through it. These two weren't so bad, but she'd take forever to go back to sleep.

He leaned against the counter, waiting for their glasses. Mara walked back to the table as she drank. "What's this, daddy?" she asked, pointing at his papers. He sighed.

"Some stuff your uncle asked me to do," he said, taking her glass and wiping at her mouth.

"Can I help?" she asked, climbing into the chair he'd been seated in. Ethan chuckled and pulled her down before she could get all the way up.

"Nope, you can go to bed though." She frowned.

"Mommy would let me help." Ethan smiled as he rinsed her glass, walking back to pick her up as Spencer rinsed his glass.

"Nah, we both know she wouldn't, sweetheart." Mara frowned as he waited for Spencer.

"I don't wanna brush my teeth again," he complained as they headed up.

"Alright, fine, but you go straight to sleep, yeah?" Spencer nodded a yawn coming with it. "Okay, goodnight bud, hm?" Spencer frowned as Ethan bent down to kiss his head.

"I don't wanna."

"You've gotta, Spence," Mara said from E's shoulder. "We've gotta go to school!"