prologue

1991
Alora Slater POV

"Alora, if we don't leave now, we're going to be late!" My mother called to me.

My trunk clamoured down the stairs behind me as I dragged it through the house and to the front door. My brother, Adrian, was leaving for school tomorrow, he went to Durmstrang. I have no idea why we don't go to the same school, my father wanted him to go away. They almost sent me to Beauxbatons, but my mother was not having it.

"Not even a letter?"

"I'm sorry, honey."

"Let's just go then. Goodbye, Adrian, I'll see you at Christmas, yes?"

"I come home a day before you."

My brother pulled me into a rib-crushing hug, him being thirteen, it almost killed me. He messed up my hair before grabbing my trunk and carrying it to the fireplace for me. We were travelling by Floo Powder today. My father hated when we travelled by magical means, he was a paranoid man. I speak about him as though he's dead, but he isn't. As far as I know, he's out with some new family making new memories, forgetting about us.

He left us last year, right around my birthday. I think it was November 20th, sometime around there anyway. I remember waking up to the sound of my mother crying and then something smashing. Part of me knew what had happened, they had been fighting about Adrian and I every day. He called her a bad parent, said she didn't care for the well-being of their children. That was false, my mother wanted us to have a life, to not be hermits.

I think about him quite often, wondering if he'll ever come back. He hasn't written once, not even on Christmas, so I don't know why I even bothered asking my mother if he had. I grabbed a handful of the dust from the vase sitting on the mantle, then dropped it while saying, "Kings Cross Station!" My mother followed, coming through straight behind me.

There were a few fireplaces, all in secluded locations so Muggles would not see. My mother dusted off my shirt and fixed my hair that Adrian had tangled, and lead me out to the platform. You had to run through the wall, I watched a few others before giving it a go myself. My mom and I ran through together, and the other side was magical... literally.

My mother pushed my trolley along and helped get my things into the train before placing two hands on my shoulder and staring down at me. She looked as though she might cry, which she rarely did.

"Mum, I'll be okay."

"I know, I'm just going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too, but Hogwarts is excellent."

"You make some good friends okay, good people. Remember who you are, you're a Slater. Don't take any crap from anyone."

"Mum!"

What she meant by this was "become friends with some nice pure bloods like yourself," and "if anyone is mean to you, don't be afraid to hex them." My mother wasn't the kindest woman, she had an awful temper. I think she's been scaring Adrian, recently he's been avoiding her as much as possible.

"You'll do great."

"I'll see you at Christmas, promise you'll write?"

"Every week. Now go on, the train is boarding. Good luck, Lorrie."

I turned away from her after waving one last time. Many children were now leaving their parents behind and getting on the train. As I was reading my mother's old Charms book, there was a small knock on the door. A girl stood in the doorway, looking confident in herself. She examined my book before looking me up and down.

"Mind if I sit in here?"

"Not at all."

She strutted across the compartment and flopped down on the bench across from me. Her hair was dark and cut short, right below her ears. She didn't seem very nice, her arms were crossed and she had a scowl displayed across her face.

"So, who are you, then?"

"Alora Slater, you?"

"Pansy Parkinson. What house do you think you'll be in?"

"It better be Slytherin, I might as well not come home if it's anything else."

"Good. It's nice to meet you Slater," her scowl curled into a smile.

"You too."

After about five minutes, three boys came walking to our compartment. The one who seemed to be their leader was small, much scrawnier than the two behind him. His hair was practically white and he had a ridiculous smirk on his face. Parkinson smiled at him and welcomed him to the compartment, it was obvious she knew them.

"Who's this?" The blonde boy asked Pansy.

"Slater, don't worry, she's going to be in Slytherin too."

"Slater? That name sounds familiar."

"You are?"

"Malfoy, Draco Malfoy."

"And who are they?"

"Crabbe and Goyle. I see you've made friends with Pansy already."

"I have."

The three boys sat down around the benches, Malfoy sitting next to me. Maybe his and Pansy's parents worked together or were friends when they went to school. There was a girl I used to be friends with, Daphne Greengrass, but I hadn't seen her around the platform or on the train either.

The five of us sat in the compartment, talking mostly about what we expected of this year. To put it simply, the Malfoy kid was a brat. He was spoiled and had a massive ego, I'm surprised he even fit through the door. I didn't say anything, and neither did the others, but he seriously bothered me. There was no reason for him to be as rude as he is.

"I've already seen far to many Mudbloods for my liking, this school is going to be crawling with dirty-blooded people," he scoffed.

It was things like that that just didn't need to be said, but he said them anyway. Sure, I agree, there's not many pure blood families left, but I don't walk around calling other people Mudbloods. That's a disgusting word and it shouldn't be used by anyone. I kept my head down and tried to stay out of the conversation.

I just had to make it to school, then I could get away from them.