chapter sixty

Draco Malfoy POV

The other boys and I were woken up abruptly in what I assumed was the middle of the night, the sky was still an inky black. We got dressed quickly and threw our robes on, then went down to the common room. Alora was coming down just as I was, so I quickly shuffled through the mob of Slytherins who were making their way out of the room. She grabbed my hand quickly as we joined the others.

   Everyone was lead to the Great Hall and were instructed to stand with their houses. All of Slytherin stood in organized rows alongside the other houses who did the same. These assemblies were never about anything good, something must have gone wrong with Potter and their mad hunt for Horcruxes. I could feel Alora trembling next to me, I squeezed her hand tighter to remind her I was here.

"Many of you are surely wondering why I've summoned you here at this hour. It has come to my attention that earlier this evening, Harry Potter was spotted in Hogsmeade."

The Great Hall filled with excited yet nervous whispers about where he could possibly be and what he was doing here. Alora froze when she heard that, if they saw Potter, they saw us.

"Now. Should anyone, student or staff, attempt to aid Mr. Potter, they shall be punished in a manner consistent with the severity of their transgression. Furthermore, any person found to have knowledge of these events who fails to come forward will be treated as equally guilty. Now then, if anyone here has any knowledge of Mr. Potter's movements this evening... I invite them to step forward. Now."

Everyone shifted nervously in their positions, not wanting to be further pestered about this matter. Alora's grip on my hand was crushing, she looked like she might even faint. She was breathing slowly, trying to remain calm and collected in case Snape looked our way. Suddenly, the hall filled with a loud, simultaneous gasp from everyone. We all turned around to see the origin.

Potter stepped out from the Gryffindor formation and into the aisle.

"It seems despite your exhaustive defensive strategies, you still have a bit of a security problem, headmaster."

The doors to the Great Hall opened and members I assume to be from the Order of the Phoenix walked in lead by Kingsley Shacklebolt. Granger, Weasley, my cousin, Nymphadora, Lupin and many others stood in a triangular formation behind him with their wands out and ready.

"And I'm afraid it's quite extensive. How dare you stand where he stood? Tell them how it happened that night! Tell them how you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him! Tell them."

Snape was not having Potter's speech and immediately whipped out his wand and aimed it at Potter. Professor McGonagall instantly shoved Potter out of the way and had her wand aimed at Snape, ready for a fight. All of the students practically dove to the edges of the room to get out of the way. Alora didn't move, so I pulled her backwards roughly.

McGonagall fired the first shot which Snape deflected with ease. She continued firing spells at him and he didn't dare send one back her way, just blocked all of them. Snape deflected one backwards which hit the Carrows and sent them both on to their asses, before disappearing through the window in the familiar Death Eater smoke.

The Great Hall broke out into a roar of cheering as McGonagall set fire to all of the light fixtures along the walls and bringing some visibility to the place. Alora clutched my arm and pulled me out to where Potter was standing in the middle of the room. He was about to say something to McGonagall but Slater cut him off.

Before she could speak to him, Potter fell to the ground and a scream came from one of the corners. Potter got up to investigate the scream, and when he found the source, another one started. Shortly after that, a terrifying yet familiar whisper filled the room.

"I know that many of you want to fight. Some of you might even think that to fight is wise. But this is foley. Give me Harry Potter. Do this and none shall be harmed. Give me Harry Potter and I shall leave Hogwarts untouched. Give me Harry Potter and you will be rewarded. You have one hour."

Silence filled the room again and all eyes turned to Potter, who stood emotionless in the middle of the aisle.

"What are you waiting for? Someone grab him!" Parkinson yelled from a few rows over.

The youngest Weasley stood before Harry as if she were blocking him and his friends did the same. A moronic Filch came running in yelling about how students were out of bed, but McGonagall quickly shushed him. Alora let go of my arm and stormed towards Pansy with her wand out, aimed at her chest. I raced after her, trying to stop any more chaos from happening but I was too late.

"Are you mad? Stupefy!" She yelled, sending a stunned Pansy flying backwards into the wall.

"Mr. Filch, please escort the rest of Slytherin house back to the dungeons," McGonagall said quickly.

All of our house started heading for the Great Hall doors, but Alora pulled me out of the group and back towards Potter. She roughly pushed through the wall of Gryffindors surrounding him who didn't seem pleased by it, Potter told them to stand down. I waited for her on the other side of the angry friends.

"Please tell me you found it," she begged.

"Not yet, what do you know about Rowena Ravenclaw's lost diadem?"

"Other than it's a tiara that's been missing for centuries, not much. If it's here though, I would search in the Room of Requirement... somewhere high up."

"What do you need, Potter?"

"Time. As much time as you can get."

She nodded and Potter ran off into the chaos of students evacuating, leaving all of us standing confused in the center of the hall. McGonagall pulled Alora and I to the side where the others couldn't hear our conversation.

"I'm sorry but I have to ask, where do you two stand in this? As secretive as you've tried to be, it's fairly obvious you're affiliated with the Dark Lord when the Carrows and Snape don't punish you." She asked Alora and I nervously.

"We got them in, we're going to see to it that they make it out. You can ask Hermione or Ronald,
you can trust us," Alora answered.

"You got them in?"

"Alora broke them out of Malfoy Manor, then her and Granger made a plan to get them in here. The five of us spent time in Hogsmeade and then just a few hours ago she got them into the Room of Requirement," I said.

"Please, Professor, we're risking our lives right now to be here and help all of you. If any of the other Death Eaters find out we're wanting to help, we'll be killed," Alora pleaded.

"Other Death Eaters? You mean-"

She lifted hers and my left sleeves to briefly reveal our Dark Marks before covering them back up. McGonagall looked as though she was going to be sick. Granger and Weasley had come over and whispered something to McGonagall. She slowly raised her head and nodded at us, instructing us to go with the two thirds of the trio that were still here.

Hundreds would probably die tonight, and many, many more would not get their happy ending.