chapter two

Alora Slater POV

"Detention after class, Slater. Parkinson, yours will be tomorrow. Get out of here and open your books," Snape growled.

I dropped my bag next to my chair in the Potions classroom after tossing my book on to the desk. From across the room, Pansy glared at me as she toyed with the bandage on her face. I'm not really sure why they didn't just use a healing spell on her, this is a school full of witches and wizards.

Just when I thought this day couldn't get much worse, my table mate sat down next to me and groaned slightly. I didn't look over at him, I wasn't interesting in anything he had to say about earlier. His long, bony fingers tapped on the table in a sequence as though he were waiting for me to tell him to cut it out.

"Do I even want to know why you and Parkinson got into a crazy bitch fight in the corridor?"

I took a breath before answering, I wasn't going to engage with him, not after I had already earned myself one detention.

"It wasn't a crazy bitch fight."

"As much as I hate to say this, you've got an alarmingly nice punch."

"Go sit somewhere else, Malfoy."

"I wish I could, but I'm stuck with you all year. Don't worry though, if we make any poisons in this class, I'll have you test mine out."

"And then I'll have to drink my own for anything to happen because you're a wreck at Potions."

"You're mad," he mumbled to himself.
-
I had time between classes this term, so I walked down to Snape's office for my detention. At least I wasn't the only one getting in trouble, Pansy deserved it much more than I did. My fist knocked on the door twice before it flew open and revealed the dreary office. Snape sat behind his desk and nodded for me to sit down.

"Care to explain yourself?"

"Not particularly."

"I wasn't asking."

"I don't like Pansy."

"Now you're lying. I won't tolerate liars."

"She was getting on my nerves this morning. Honestly, she had it coming."

"Why did she have it coming?"

"Because she was getting on my nerves, didn't we just have this conversation?"

He took a book off his desk and hit me in the arm with it. I'm almost positive he wasn't allowed to do that, but I didn't say anything.

"Mind your attitude. Organize the potions in the cabinet then get out of my sight."

I slammed my hands down on his desk before pushing myself up off the chair. The cabinet was already half open, so there was no need for me to unlock it. There were potions dating from years ago in here and he didn't exactly tell me how to organize them. Ultimately, I decided to do it by year and then in alphabetical order.

The last bottle was one filled with wit-sharpening potion. When Snape dismissed me, I got out of there as fast as I could. I had charms in ten minutes and I couldn't be late, especially on the first day. Flitwick may seem nice, but he didn't really like me.
-
Part of me knew I should apologize to Pansy, it was awfully reckless of me to punch her, but she deserved it at the same time. I had a feeling she would be in the common room, but I hadn't worked out what I was going to say to her yet, so I opted to go sit by the lake.

The Black lake was unusually calm, there was always some sort of commotion in the water. I was the only one around so I grabbed out my wand.

"Wingardium Leviosa."

My bag had slowly risen off the ground and was heading upwards for the branches of the tree. I directed it so the strap would get caught on one of the crooked branches. I climbed up after it and slumped against the thick branch that was keeping me from falling. The wind messed up my hair, my brown curls were all over the place.

A few hours went by and it was slowly beginning to get dark. When it got dark here, it got freezing, and I wasn't properly equipped to be cold. I also didn't want to get another detention, chances are I would be getting another in a month anyways. My feet hit the solid ground a moment later. I took one last deep breath before walking back towards the castle.

There was no way I could avoid Pansy forever, we sleep in the same room. I took the longest way possible to the common room, but if I took any longer, Filch would bust me for being out after curfew.

"Pure blood."

The door revealed itself and I pushed it open slowly, checking to see if there was anyone in the common room. To my luck, it was mostly empty except for some third years sitting by the fire, reading. When I walked in, they all kept their heads down after seeing who it was. I dragged myself up the dormitory stairs and pushed open the door.

Pansy was sitting on her bed writing a letter to someone, obviously I didn't bother asking. Daphne's shoulders tensed over her Transfiguration homework but she did not look at either of us. The arm of my chair caught my bag when I dropped it down and I quickly grabbed my clothes to go change. She stared at me the entire way to the bathroom, not saying a word.

When I got back, she was still staring. It was almost as though she were waiting for me to say something, which I know I should have. Instead, I pulled out my Potions book and began reading up on the potion we would be doing next week so I wouldn't be completely clueless in class when Snape picked on me.

"You aren't going to say anything to me?" Pansy scoffed.

"What would you like me to say, Parkinson?"

"I don't know, maybe you could apologize for punching me this morning?"

"I'm not sorry though."

"Listen here, bitch-"

"Shut up, Pansy!" Daphne cried, slamming her book closed.

"Excuse me?"

"Today has been miserable with you two like this, Pansy, I had to listen to you bitch and moan all day! I'm already sick of it, make up or I'm ditching the both of you."

Pansy and I exchanged a concerned glance before looking sheepishly down at our things.

"I shouldn't have punched you."

"Damn right, you shouldn't have."

"Pansy!" Daphne yelled.

She huffed before looking over at me from across the room.

"I'm sorry I interfered this morning, I know you don't like it when I do."

"Alright."

"Alright."

"Now if the two of you aren't friends again by tomorrow morning, you can expect me to be getting breakfast without either of you."

"Shut up, Daphne," Pansy and I said in unison.

We shared a smile before returning to our assorted activities. I think this would all blow over by the morning, we never stayed mad at one another for very long.