chapter eleven

1996
November 22nd
Alora Slater POV

"Happy birthday, Slater!"

A pillow smacked me right across the face, quickly waking me up. I groaned before sitting up in the bed, it was freezing outside of the covers. Last night, I was praying that they would forget my birthday, but it was just my luck that they didn't. What great friends I have.

"Thanks," I mumbled before getting up and stuffing my feet into my slippers.

"What's wrong with you? You love your birthday," Daphne said, puzzled.

"You're sixteen!" Pansy shrieked.

"Why are you being so loud at seven in the morning?"

"Slater, the hell is your problem?"

"Nothing, sorry. Thanks guys."

"Get ready, we have a surprise for you."

"Oh no, please just keep it low key, I'm not feeling it this year. None of your crazy birthday plans, please."

"None at all, promise." Pansy said, giggling after which lead me to believe there would be some sort of crazy birthday plan.

I grabbed my things and got dressed in the bathroom before coming back and fixing my hair. Pansy didn't like my hair being straight, so she sat me down and pinned it half back after making it curly. Despite my persistent objection, she put some makeup on me before deciding I was presentable enough to be seen. She spritzed some of my soft,
rose perfume on my neck and pulled me to my feet.

Her and Daphne dragged me down the stairs and into the common room where the boys were waiting. When they heard us come through the doorway, they all looked up ans waved us over. Things had been much more normal lately, we all hung out as a group again.

"Slater, you're looking rather fancy this morning," Blaise teased.

"It's her birthday!" Pansy yelled.

"I know, it was a joke! Happy birthday, Alora."

"Thanks," I smiled.

The others wished me a happy birthday, even Draco did, which he never did. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see him staring at me. I didn't look over at him, I didn't really want a fight to break out this early. We all headed for the Great Hall to get some breakfast, Pansy and Daphne practically carrying me the whole way. I didn't see what the rush was.

"Merlin, would the two of you either slow down or let go of me? You're more excited for my birthday than I am."

"You're the one not matching your usual energy. Come on, we have a surprise."

"You've said that, and I've told you no."

"What's her problem?" Goyle asked Pansy, loudly, as if he meant for me to hear.

"Shut up, Goyle," I snapped.

When we reached our spots at the end of the table, I grabbed a cup and poured some tea. No matter how many layers I put on this morning, I couldn't seem to get warm. The others were grabbing their food, but I was far from hungry. I only took an apple when Pansy scowled at me and told me to eat something.

After breakfast, we all went back to the common room. This time, Pansy and Daphne made me go first, guaranteed they had something planned. The boys seemed to know about it as well, because the six of them were all whispering and standing awkwardly behind me. I rolled my eyes at them before saying the password and walking through the door.

Just as I had suspected, the common room was full of Slytherins from all different years clapping and cheering after shouting "Happy Birthday!" in unison. I faked a smile as I went around thanking everyone. Pansy and Daphne took the others and waited at the sofa for me to be done and join them.

"Thanks for not doing one of your crazy birthday plans like I had asked, really appreciate it."

"You'd regret it later if we didn't, this sour mood isn't going to last forever. Anyway, we pitched in and bought you something, here!" Pansy giggled, she could barely contain her excitement.

I took the box she was holding and undid the ribbon, then lifted the lid off. Inside laid a silver chain with an emerald dangling from it. Normally, I was not one for jewellery, but this was perfect. It wasn't obnoxious and it would match with anyone I wore. This time, the smile I had was genuine, I couldn't help it. This probably didn't come cheap either, jewellery in Hogsmeade was pricy.

"You guys, it's perfect, I love it. Thank you."

"Turn around!" Daphne said.

Pansy snatched the box out of my hands and Daphne held my hair out of the way. The emerald dangled at a nice length, and Pansy clasped it then spun me around so they could see. I grabbed the emerald to closer examine it and couldn't help but laugh a little. This had broken the awful mood I was in, and I was forever grateful to them.

"Is that the time?" Daphne said loudly.

We all glanced at the clock that hung above the door and our eyes widened. Class started in five minutes for all of us. I thanked them all once again before picking my bag up off the floor and running for the door, Draco on my tail. Luckily, the Potions room was just down the hall and around the corner, so we would make it in time. We were the last two to arrive but made it before Slughorn was in.

Draco and I took our seats at the table in the back corner and quickly got our things organized. I couldn't even remember what we were doing today, I just flipped to yesterday's work. Once again, Draco was looking over at me.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing. Uh, happy birthday."

"Thanks."

He's been acting strange all year, I'm not sure how I feel about it.