chapter twenty eight

Draco Malfoy POV

I heard two people arguing downstairs but I couldn't tell who. I heard my father talking to someone which was followed by some yelling. I slowly got up and put my ear to the door. It was quiet for a moment but then I heard someone speak up.

"Maybe this will teach you to have some respect," I heard my father say.

I opened the door slowly and crept out into the main corridor. As I tiptoed down the corridor, I heard something hit the floor. It sounded like a body. The other man started laughing, which meant it probably wasn't good. I picked up the pace burst into the lobby and froze.

Alora was laying on the ground in a puddle of blood, her blood. Yaxley was standing over her staring down at her leg, which was gushing blood all over the floor. What the hell happened?

"What did you do?"

"There was a misunderstanding..." my father said smoothly.

"A misunderstanding?!"

I picked up what I assumed was her wand next to Yaxley's foot and started fixing the massive gash in her thigh. There was this spell that Snape had to use on me once when Potter tried to kill me. I didn't know if it would work for this, but it was worth a shot.

"Vulnera Sanentur," I mumbled repeatedly while tracing my wand over the cut.

The wound slowly started closing and the blood on the floor actually started going back into her. It was unsettling, is this what it looked like when Snape saved my life? When it was fully closed, there was a single slice across her leg, but it was closed and I think she would be fine.

"Ferula."

Some bandages appeared around her leg to keep the cut covered. It wasn't a flawless fix, but it was my first time ever trying it. Now that she was fine, it was time for me to find out why this even happened.

"Do I even want to know?" I asked Yaxley, not looking up at him.

"We went to the Ministry and she got information, she said she made a trade. I thought she gave real information... but it turns out she made up a story. We had a little... fight... and her shield charm broke."

"You did this because you jumped to conclusions?"

"Listen, Malfoy, she was disrespectful and didn't tell me right away."

"Did you know just a minute ago?"

"Yes."

"And you just watched her bleed out? Both of you? Bloody hell!" I yelled.

They both looked at the ground in shame. I couldn't believe them. She was bleeding out and they didn't help her because she didn't show enough respect? They aren't even superior to her, only aunt Bella and the Dark Lord get to boss her around. They had no right to let that happen. Sure, a little fight is fine, but Yaxley or my father should have helped her.

I slipped one arm under her shoulders and the other under her knees. She was lighter than I had planned, so I accidentally lifted her up rather quickly. She laid limp in my arms as I carried her away from the lobby and up the stairs. My room was closer than hers, so I kicked my door open and put her on my bed.

She laid there so innocently, she didn't deserve this. Both times she's been here, she's gotten hurt. Alora Slater is actually a decent person and her morals keep getting her almost killed. The thing was, she didn't do anything wrong this time. Her task was more than successful, she actually helped them. I know it couldn't have been easy to just lie and steal from the Ministry.

I sat with my head in my hands, waiting for her to wake up. This was taking a little longer than expected, I hope I got to her in time. The suspense was killing me, I just needed her to move. God, she must have been so scared, sitting there bleeding out when two people who are supposed to be on her side just watch her.

We had been in the bed for about five minutes when she woke up. I had been staring at the floor, just thinking, when I felt her small hand on my arm. She had tried to sit up but I didn't let her, I held her down gently.

"Hey."

"I can sit up, Draco."

"You just bled out then had all the blood sucked back into you, lay down."

"At least bring me to the guest room, I'm not going to take up your space."

"You're so annoying. Just shut up and lay down."

"What happened?"

"You got into a fight with Y-"

"No, I remember all that. What happened after I hit my head?"

"I came downstairs and did my best to fix up your leg, then brought you up here."

"Was your father angry?"

"No." That was a lie, he would let me hear it later.

"Sorry you had to save my ass... again."

"I really wish you would stop getting yourself into situations where you need saving," I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"I didn't do anything wrong this time. Well, it was wrong but that's the point, isn't it?"

"Yaxley shouldn't have attacked you. I made sure he knew it wasn't acceptable."

"Don't make them hate you too. I'm fine with them not liking me, I'm getting used to the pain."

"Slater..." How could she say that and be fine with it?

"It's true. First was the Dark Mark, then the Cruciatus Curse and now taking Diffindo to the leg? I don't think it can get much worse than that. I can take it, don't ruin your reputation over me."

"My reputation is fine, I don't want your blood on my hands."

"I can handle myself. They weren't going to let me die. If I died on their watch they would've taken the heat, especially because it was Yaxley's mistake."

"You didn't see what I saw though. It was disgusting see you laying there in a puddle of blood."

"And you didn't feel what I felt... and trust me when I tell you that you don't want to. It was scary, but I can survive scary."

"I'm not going anywhere, neither are you."

"You're impossible," she scoffed.

"Me? Have you met yourself?"