chapter five

One Week Later
Alora Slater POV

It was about eleven when I finally dragged myself
out of bed. Believe me, I would've stayed longer but I actually had plans today. Adrian had wrote me back and said he would try and make something work, and then a letter came yesterday asking us to meet tomorrow. There was little cafe in Hogsmeade, down an alley where not many people know about, we were going to meet there.

I had to be there in an hour so I couldn't put off getting ready for much longer. My outfit had been laying out since last night. I chose dark green and black plaid pants and a black turtleneck to wear, along with my winter gear. The serpent belt I wanted to wear was somewhere around here, I hadn't been the most organized lately.

My black hat almost covered my eyes so it was a bit annoying to try and loop my scarf around my neck. It was terribly cold today, colder than most of the days we've had so far. I grabbed my gloves off of my night table and headed for the door as I pulled them over my fingers.
-
The cafe was fairly empty from what I could see through the window as I approached the door. Not many people were out today, but that was understandable. A little bell sounded as I pulled the door open and closed it behind me. I scanned the room for Adrian and saw him sitting at the back in a corner. He wasn't looking at me and he didn't look so well.

When he heard the chair opposite to him being pulled out, he quickly looked up and smiled. His huge arms crushed me in a hug before we sat down. A smile had now covered his face and that look of stress had quickly gone.

"You got old fast," I joked.

"I am eighteen, I'm far from old. Look at you, fifteen now?"

"Yes. So, how have you been?"

"Alright, actually. A bit stressed out, but alright."

"What's wrong? You seemed very focused when I came in."

"It's just mother, she's already... well you know."

"I'll go pack up my things when we're done here and I'll meet you somewhere to apparate home."

"No, I have it handled."

"Adrian, it's alright. I'm stuck alone with the Malfoy boy anyway at school. It'll take two minutes to pack up-"

"Alora. It's fine. She doesn't want you to see her like this anyway. Seriously, drop it."

I looked at him startled for a moment, he never snapped at me. You could see the look of regret on his face once he said it. He started to apologize when I held my hand up at him, signalling for him to stop.

"You still drink green tea?"

"Here," he smiled as he handed me some coins.

"You're paying? This day just got much better."

I approached the counter and ordered two green teas and two pumpkin pasties, they were Adrian's favourite. I slid some coins across the counter and took our things back to the table in the corner. Adrian took his tea and sipped it slowly, making sure not to burn his tongue.

"Hey, how did you even convince mom to let you leave?"

He smirked down at his cup and reached into his bag.

"I told her you forgot a book you needed for the new term, and she didn't notice it was one from last year."

He slid a fourth year Charms book across the table to me. I read the cover and chuckled. My mother was probably too drunk to even realize Adrian left this morning. I feel awful leaving him alone, but it's clear he didn't want me there. To be fair, I didn't want to be there either, but he shouldn't have to deal with her alone. He shouldn't have to deal with her at all, I've told him to stay at school for the holidays multiple years, but he never listens.

The whole time we were talking, the smile never left Adrian's face, but it wasn't genuine. He was trying to seem happy for me but something was troubling him. It wasn't about mum, he never let her get in his head. This was something new, maybe it was about finishing school soon and starting work...no, it seemed more serious than that.

"Are you okay, Adrian? You don't seem like yourself."

"It's been a long time since you've seen me last. I'm not the same person I was a year and a half ago."

"I know that, but you look troubled. You can talk to me."

"Alora, there isn't anything going on. I would tell you if there was something worth telling."

"You promise you aren't lying to me?"

"Have I ever lied to you?"

"Many times."

"Well, this time I'm not. I've got to get going soon before mum loses her head. Are you going to be alright alone at the castle?"

"Let me come with you."

"You don't want to come home, you would have for the last four years if you did. Everything is fine. Swear to me that you'll be alright?"

"I swear. I'm going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too, but summer holidays are just one term away and then we'll both be home for the whole summer."

"Yeah, but with mother."

"I'm working on it."

"She needs help."

"I know."

We stood up simultaneously, tucking our chairs in after us. He put a hand on my shoulder and gave me a sad smile, this situation was far from ideal. I gave him one last hug before he apparated back home. My feet kept me frozen in the spot for another moment before heading for the door. I almost didn't see him behind the newspaper, but his blonde hair gave him away."