chapter eight

Alora Slater POV

"Where's Adrian?" I growled.

"He had some important things to do this afternoon so he couldn't be here. I've already gotten your things so we can leave now."

My mother grabbed my arm and apparated us out of the train station, we were in our living room before I knew it. Our feet hit the floor and I made a break for my room without saying another word to her. I heard my name being called but pretended I didn't as I nearly slammed the door behind me. My trunk crashed on to the ground as I dropped it and jumped into my bed.

Adrian had been acting strange at the cafe many months ago, and now he broke his promise to pick me up? He knew something and didn't want to tell me, but he should. Chances are, whatever it is I can help him with it. He had just finished his last year of school and wasn't even around to tell me how it went. It was so strange, he was acting so distant. He was my best friend at one point, we told each other everything. Everything.
-
It was almost midnight when I heard the front door open then close abruptly. Before I had the chance to get up to go see if it was Adrian, I heard whisper-yelling coming from the living room. I stood with my ear to the door, my hands cupped around it. Adrian and my mother were arguing about something, I couldn't exactly make out what it was at first, but then I caught a few sentences.

"She's too young for this!"

"Do you really think I have a choice in the matter, Adrian? I don't, I don't get a say!"

"You're going to get her killed."

"She won't be hurt if she does as she's told."

By that time, I had heard enough. I jumped back from the door and scuttled across my floor until my back was pressed up against the far wall. My chest rose and fell far more rapidly than usual. They were talking about me, and whatever it was about, it wasn't good. I didn't want to get killed, what was going on?

I was deep in thought about what could be happening when I heard two pairs of footsteps coming up the stairs outside of my door. Without hesitation, I jumped into my bed and resumed reading the book I had been before the door had initially closed. There was a soft knock followed by the door opening slowly, revealing Adrian standing behind my mother.

"Alora, we've got to talk," my mother whispered.

I looked past her to see Adrian's face, his eyes were welling up and a single tear fell down his cheek. I've never seen him cry before, this must be incredibly serious. The book slid out of my hands as I stood up and followed them back down the stairs towards the living room. My mother motioned for me to sit down while her and Adrian stood in front of me.

"What's going on?" I asked.

My mother gripped the sleeve of her left arm with her right hand and pulled it up rapidly, revealing her Dark Mark. I knew she had it, I just never asked her about it. Adrian blinked hard and looked at his shoes, I stared at her blankly waiting for an explanation. I think I knew where she was going with this, but I had to be sure before I lost it on her.

"You know what this is? What it means?"

"I'm not stupid."

"Exactly, which is why the Dark Lord himself has ordered that you join us."

I knew it.

"No."

"You don't get a choice, none of us do. This is an honour, Alora. Nobody your age is ever asked to join the Dark Lord."

I didn't say anything to her, I didn't even know where I would start. Part of me wanted to scream and go mental on her, but the other part knew it really wasn't her choice. I doubt she wanted this, she knows how dangerous it is. If only she weren't so stupid all those years ago, this wouldn't be happening. I took a deep breath and swallowed hard before uttering one word.

"When?"

"The first week of Christmas break this year. You'll have turned sixteen a month before and then you will be able to get your mark."

"You mean I have six months to be a normal person? How long have you known?!"

"I-I've known since the end of your fourth year."

"You've known for a year! You didn't tell me? This is my life you're ruining!" I looked at Adrian who looked guiltier than ever. "Did you know?"

He shuffled his feet nervously before meeting my eyes.

"Um, I-"

"That's why you were acting weird around Christmas. You knew! You didn't tell me? Since when did we start keeping secrets, Adrian?"

The tears had started flowing down his cheeks more and he looked so ashamed. I couldn't believe him, he knew and didn't me. He had every opportunity to, we were at the cafe for a few hours. Hours. He had hours to tell me. Every time I had asked him what was troubling him, he could have said something.

"You both are unbelievable."

I shot up from the chair I was sitting in and stormed up to my room, slamming the door so hard you could hear it crumbling. I didn't even realize I had been crying until I felt the tears drop on to my shirt. My hands ran through and grabbed a handful of my hair before I screamed.

My life was over in six months and there was nothing I could do about it.