chapter sixty two

Alora Slater POV

   I screamed Draco's name despite my lungs being raw from the smoke inhalation. He heard me and managed to jump on to the back of my broom right as his tower was collapsing. We darted across the room dodging the dancing flames and headed towards the others. Draco threw one of the brooms to Potter, which he caught and mounted instantly, and then the second to Granger and Weasley.

   We were about to leave before the door closed itself  when I shot Potter a look, and he knew what it meant. He rolled his eyes but ultimately turned back and headed for Crabbe and Goyle who were tumbling down towards the flames. Harry reached his arm down and grabbed Goyle's shirt, but he was a fraction of a second too late.

   Crabbe had grabbed Goyle's arm on the way down, and pulled him away from Harry. The piece of fabric Potter was holding ripped and the two of them crashed to the flame-engulfed ground. I could hear Draco yell out for them and then felt his grip around my waist tighten. The five of us made a break for the door, which was starting to close.

   Draco and I made it though, then Potter who was followed by the other two. Their broom hit the door, and Granger and Weasley went flying into the wall of the fire-free corridor. I ran over to help them, but they got up and brushed themselves off before I made it there. Hermione dig through her bag and pulled out a massive tooth, a Basalisk fang, and stabbed the center jewel of the diadem.

   She managed to throw it through the door of the Room of Requirement before it closed. The dark magic resembling inky blood spilled out of it as it soared through the air, just barely making it into the room which was completely destroyed. We all coughed and sputtered, trying to rid our lungs of the smoke and soot.

   I couldn't help but feel a single tear trickle down my cheek. Draco pulled me into a quick but tight hug. In a matter of minutes, our six year friend group had gone from seven to four. I lost my best friend tonight, I was the reason she died too. Sure, Goyle's stupid idea actually killed her, but I was the reason she couldn't escape. Draco lost his... goons, but also his ex-girlfriend. His first.

   "Good thinking with the brooms, Slater," Weasley muttered.

   "Thanks, we really need to go," I said, trying to hold in any more potential tears.

   "I'm sorry about your friends," Granger whispered to me as we ran down the corridor.

   We all stopped running once we reached an intersection. There was fighting all around us, people dropping dead left and right. A lot had changed in the half hour we were gone. Hermione looked at me nervously, she was about to tell Harry he had to die.

   "Harry, look inside his head," Weasley said, robbing Granger of her chance.

   "What? Why?"

   "You've got to find the snake. We have to kill that thing."

   Harry sighed and sat down before closing his eyes. He grabbed the step he was sitting on as his grunted in agony. I could see the sweat already forming on his forehead, it looked so incredibly painful for him. He bared his teeth as he trembled, but then opened his eyes and stood up quickly.

   "They're here. He's here and He has the snake."

   "Where?"