chapter fifty nine

Alora Slater POV

The three of them followed Neville into the tunnel which apparently lead to the Room of Requirement,
how convenient, right? Draco and I bid then good luck as the painting closed behind them, sealing off the passage. Draco grabbed my hand and pulled me anxiously to the stairs. I thanked Mr. Dumbledore for his help and followed Draco back up the rickety staircase.

   The humid May air hit us like a wall when we opened the door of the inn and stepped out into the street. Carefully yet hastily, we made our way out of the depressing village with our bags slung over our shoulders. We were both scared, if any of the Death Eaters found out we had helped them instead of handing them over, Draco and I would be toast.

   At the same time, if war broke out and we were caught in the middle of it, who would we fight for? We just got the good guys one step closer to killing our leader. Draco and I did something good, so how on earth would we go back to fighting for the bad side? People at Hogwarts would surely find out about our Dark Marks and would try to kill us, but if we didn't join our families, they would kill us too.

   I've almost died a few times before, so I know how terrifying it is, but this time was no easier. This time, there was someone who actually cared for me who I would be leaving behind. I couldn't be stupid and careless now, there was someone else involved. I had to watch my tone and so as I was told no matter what.

Draco and I walked through the east doors and practically ran down to the Slytherin common room. It was about six o'clock when we got there. Everyone seemed much more on edge than usual, a lot of them glared at us as we walked through the common room and up to Draco's dormitory. The other boys weren't around so we had the room to ourselves.

"Draco?"

"Hm?"

"If a war does break out, what are we going to do?"

"What do you mean?"

"I mean... what side are we going to fight for? Who are we going to defend? Who are we going to hurt?"

"I... I don't know. What do you want to do? You're the one who makes all of the choices."

"Which is why I'm asking you. I always decide what we're doing, and I dragged you into this. I'll do whatever you want this time."

"You just don't want to be at fault if the wrong choice is made," he smirked.

"Partially, yes. But I want to know what you're thinking. We haven't talked a lot lately and I need to know how you're feeling about all of this."

That angered him. He shot up off the bed and threw a glass that was on his nightstand at the wall. Shards of glass rained down on the floor and the two of us just stared at it. Draco hadn't had an outburst in a while, I jumped when the glass shattered. Usually it wouldn't scare me, but Draco looked furious.

   "You want to know how I'm feeling? I fucking hate this! I hate that I have this stupid Mark, and I hate that you made us do something good. Now we have to make this fucking choice!" He yelled.

   "I hate it too."

   "How the fuck am I supposed to choose? It's either kill a bunch of people and have the Dark Lord rule us forever, or get disowned by my family! You don't understand how fucking hard this is all for me, to lie to my mother's face about where we're sneaking off to!"

   "You're right, I don't."

   "So why are you making me choose?!"

   "Because I don't want you to resent me for making your choice for you!"

   His angered posture melted into a sympathetic one, the fire in his eyes extinguished. He sat back down next to me and grabbed my hand, squeezing it tightly. The setting sun flooded through the windows, reflecting off of the millions of glass pieces on the ground. It looked like the sky full of stars had fallen into the dormitory, it was mesmerizing.

"I could never resent you."

"Good, because you're stuck with me."

"What should we do, Alora? You've made all of our other decisions, why not make this one too? You haven't lead us wrong so far."

I knew he was going to ask me to choose. There were a million things to be considered, our families, if the good side wins, if the bad side wins; and what will happen to us in both scenarios, what our friends would do, what would benefit us, what would benefit the world. This wasn't an easy decision to come to, but we had to do the right thing, didn't we?"

"I know you want to help them. Potter and his friends," Draco whispered.

"Harry Potter has to die in order for the Dark Lord to be beaten."

Draco's eyes widened and he took a sharp breath before processing what this meant. That would mean someone else would have to finish him off after Potter died, if he chose to sacrifice himself of course.

"What do you mean?" Draco gasped.

"He's the seventh Horcrux, I'm not sure if Granger has told him yet. The reason Harry didn't die all those years ago was because a piece of the Dark Lord was transferred to him. It's why he can speak Parseltongue, why he and the Dark Lord can see into each other's minds."

"How long have you known this?"

"I've suspected it since the end of our fifth year, when I heard Potter was having dreams where he could see the Dark Lord. In our second year when you duelled him, we was speaking Parseltongue to the snake you conjured. I put the pieces together."

"And Granger knows?"

"Yes."

"Well, let's hope she tells him in time."

I think that meant that Draco was willing to fight for the good side. He wanted to help the world, and I was genuinely surprised. His family is the most important thing to him, I didn't think he would be able to betray them so readily. I didn't give a rat's ass about mine anymore, I would kill my parents if I had to. They haven't done shit all for me, but I wasn't sure Draco could face his own.

It will all come out soon enough.