chapter fourteen

Alora Slater POV

My back hit the wall adjacent to the door. I couldn't even tell where I was or who grabbed me before I was thrown against it. It was only when they started talking that I realized who it was. His cold, pale hands had my shoulders pinned so I wasn't going anywhere, and now I was going to be late.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He hissed.

"Get off of me," I whispered, trying to break out of his grasp, unsuccessfully might I add.

"Alora, why are you here?"

"I'm not here for you."

"You need to leave, now. This really could not be a worse time for you to be in this hallway."

"My business is in this hallway, for your information. I'm late, please, let me go."

"Business? What are you late for?"

"Don't worry about it, Draco. It's not your concern."

"You're in my house, it is my concern."

"It really isn't. I seriously have to go, don't worry about why I'm here."

I kicked him in the shin and he finally let go of me. I flew through the door, closing Draco in the room behind me. My hair was a little messed up, but was fixed by a simple adjustment. After a few more steps down the long corridor, my hand reached for the smooth, metal handle that separated me from the Dark Lord. I knocked twice before the door opened slowly.

I walked in, examining the room before turning my gaze to the figure sitting behind a large, wooden desk. He had skin whiter than snow and snake-like features. His eyes sunk into his face and his nose seemed to be flattened. When I turned to face him, he rose from his chair and walked around the desk so he was directly across from me.

"Alora Slater, I presume?" He asked in a quiet voice, almost a whisper.

"Yes, my Lord."

"Sit," the chair he had waved his wand at pulled away from the desk.

I sat down across from him, his eyes not breaking away from mine. I was careful not to be the first to break the eye contact, I was not weak. Finally, he sighed and toyed with his wand, looking down at it dancing through his long, bony fingers. I took a deep breath before he began to speak to me.

"I assume you know why you're here."

"I do."

"You're an exceptional student, Alora. I've heard many stories about you."

"Thank you."

He paused while he examined my face, carefully taking in my expression.

"You're afraid."

There was no point in lying to him, it was obvious he could see right through my act.

"Yes, my Lord, I am."

"You should be, from what I hear, this is not an exceptionally easy process."

"I understand."

"This is an honour, don't forget that. I rarely select those so young. Almost never..." he trailed off.

"And I thank you for it."

He stood up harshly, coming around the desk once more and pulling me up with him. I stood before the Dark Lord as he ripped up the sleeve of my sweater, revealing my forearm. I took one last look at my clean arm before meeting his eyes again.

"Do you, Alora Slater, swear to be completely loyal to none other than the Dark Lord?"

"I do."

"And you swear to do whatever it takes to serve me fittingly? No matter the task?"

"I swear."

The tip of his wand dropped down to my arm and made contact. A lump had started forming in my throat and my breathing had sped up like it usually does. I closed my eyes, I felt like such a coward but I could not bear to watch this. The Dark Lord started mumbling something under his breath, and the pain was instant.

My mother was not exaggerating when she said it felt as though your arm was melting. A bucket of lava being spilled on my arm probably would have felt better than this. I instantly became lightheaded, I had to grab on to the arm of the chair behind me with my free hand. His nails dug into my skin as he held my arm still, I was shaking more than anticipated.

I opened my eyes for a moment, just to see how far along I was, and saw it. Just barely, the white hot pain was blinding, but I saw the skull being inked into my skin and the snake forming below it. It looked to be about half way done. My jaw was clenched so tightly I could feel my teeth grinding against one other. If this wasn't over soon, chances are I would pass out before he could finish.

After another minute for so of pain that made me sick to my stomach, I felt his nails leave the cuts in my skin and his wand being lifted. Blood dripped on to the wood floor as my hand grabbed my left arm, trying to hold it steady as it trembled vigorously. My knees were barely keeping me vertical when he stepped away, smiling.

"Congratulations, Miss Slater, I'm very glad to have you. We'll meet again in a few hours."

With that, he disappeared in a thick cloud of black smoke, leaving no trace. I fell to the ground, clutching my arm to my chest and sobbing. I didn't have a choice anymore, the tears couldn't be held back any longer. The blood smeared across my sweater and was covering my other hand. I blinked the tears away for a moment, just long enough to see the damage done.

There were five gashes surrounding the mark, four of which were on one side, but the fifth was so much deeper than the rest. The Dark Mark burned as though it had been lit on fire. I couldn't take the pain anymore so I ran to the trash can in the corner, vomiting in it. I heard the door open but I didn't have the strength to see who it was.

"Alora!"