chapter thirty five

June 30th, 1997
Draco Malfoy POV

I was hunched over the toilet bowl in the men's bathroom, shaking with fear as my blood ran cold. I was not prepared for tonight, I couldn't go through with it. As much as I wanted to, and I was ready to, I had a feeling that something would change when he was looking me in the eyes. The others would be coming tonight at sundown, at least I wouldn't be alone.

   Actually, when I think about it, being alone would probably be better. I don't know what's happened to her, but Alora is coming tonight. Her and my aunt have gotten scarily close these last few months, they do everything together. She left a lot more frequently  nowadays, almost once a week if not more. I haven't seen her around anymore, her and Pansy haven't spoken in months either.

   Things haven't been tense at all though, despite what has been going on. Slater just hasn't been around. Everyone has felt a little off without her annoying little injections, but nobody wants to talk about it. I've tried to talk to her, but she ignores me or changes directions every time I approach her. I don't like her, but I hate this.

   There wasn't time to focus on her or anything other than what was being asked to me. The cabinet worked, I was almost there. Tonight was the home stretch. Maybe if I just closed my eyes, it wouldn't be as terrifying. I had to do this, He was going to kill me if I didn't.

   I pulled myself up off of the floor and smoothed out my clothes. There wasn't time for me to be panicky today, only calm and collected. If I wasn't the one to do it, one of the others would and it would be much worse for everyone. I heard someone else coming in, so I quickly fixed my hair and took a few deep breaths.

   "Malfoy, you in here?"

   I stepped out into the white lighting of the bathroom and turned to the door. Blaise stood there with Goyle, leaning against the wall. What did they want? It might be alright being with my friends for the last day before I become a killer. I splashed some water on my face before walking out with them.
-
   It was eight and the sun was almost completely set. I had to get moving, now. I made sure I was alone before sneaking out of the common room, then made my way down the corridors to the astronomy tower. He should be in there, I was given all of the details many months ago. There were about a million steps to get to the top, I wish there were more.

When I opened the door, I did it as quietly as possible. Dumbledore was talking to someone but quickly hushed up when he heard the door. I walked up the rest of the steps and stepped out into the moonlight. My wand was drawn and pointed at him, but he didn't even flinch when he saw me. He knew what was planned for tonight.

   "Who else is here? I heard talking."
-
   "There are others, how?"

   "The vanishing cabinet in the Room of Requirement. I've been mending it. There'a a twin at Borgin and Burke's."

   "I see."

   The rest of the Death Eaters lead by Bellatrix stepped into the room behind me. Slater was standing right beside her. I didn't want her to see this, she couldn't see me vulnerable like this.

   "Bellatrix, I believe introductions are in order," Dumbledore said calmly.

   "Love to, Albus, but we're on a bit of a tight schedule."

   "Miss Slater, lovely for you to be joining us this fine summer evening."

   She didn't respond to that, just peered at him curiously. Her face didn't change, her head just tilted slightly. Bellatrix walked crazily up to me, coming right behind me.

   "Do it."

   My wand trembled in my fingers as I lifted it higher, aiming it directly at Dumbledore's chest. Alora stepped forward about half a step, looking at me sympathetically but still detached. She was waiting to see if I could actually to do, and to be honest, so was I. I took one last deep breath before realizing how insane this was. My arm was lowering without my permission, but I was fine with it.

   Suddenly, Professor Snape entered the room swiftly from the other side. His wand was drawn and pointed at me, then he abruptly shifted it towards Dumbledore. What was happening? I knew Snape was a Death Eater, but he was one of Dumbledore's most trusted professors.

   "Severus, please," Dumbledore pleaded.

   "Avada Kedavra," Snape muttered.

   The jet of green light hit Dumbledore straight in the chest and he began to fall off of the astronomy tower. It almost went by in slow motion. There was no way Dumbledore was actually dead. That didn't just happen. I didn't have a chance to process it before Snape was grabbing my neck and shoving me towards the stairs. The lot of us ran down the tower stairs and into the corridors.

   Alora and Bellatrix lead the way to the Great Hall. Where were they going? We all followed quickly behind them while the two of them laughed as they ran down the corridor. Bellatrix had smashed the windows letting all of the wind in, blowing out all of the candles. Shards of glass flew through the room at an awfully high speed, slicing through the arm of my suit.

   It broke me to watch this, but luckily we weren't there for long. They then lead us out to the door towards the main lawn. His body would be out there somewhere and I didn't want to see it. I wanted to go home. As childish as I sounded, I really wanted to see my mother. We all broke through the doors in a big crowd, students were starting to make their way outside.

   Slater and Bellatrix ran down to Hagrid's hut, hand in hand. I couldn't tell if my aunt was dragging her down there or if she was going voluntarily. Either way, I didn't like it. I watched them stop and chat for a second before the hut was set ablaze. We needed to get out of here, there wasn't time for this.

   "Malfoy, take Slater and get out of here, now!" Snape yelled at me. I nodded and sprinted down to the hut where she was watching Bellatrix jumping up and down. She didn't see me run up behind her and grab her arm.

   We were in the Manor before she could object.