chapter fifty seven

Alora Slater POV

   There was a knock at the door and Draco yelled for whoever it was to come in. The door flew open and closed quickly as the Granger and the boys burst into the room. The relief I felt when I saw them, well it was remarkable. I never thought I would be happy to see all of the four people in this room with me, but right then, I was ecstatic.

"Thank Merlin, you made it!"

"They didn't give us any trouble downstairs, what did you two do?"

"Draco scared them off. They're all followers but we were the only real Death Eaters in the joint. We have superiority," I said with a smile. I guess being one of them did have it's perks in times like these.

"Brilliant," Potter said sarcastically.

"Okay, we crash here for two days. You three never leave this room, never answer the door if it's knocked on. You're basically not here, do you understand?"

"Yes," they all mumbled.

"Good. Work out which two of you get the bed and who gets the couch," I said

The three of them worked out who was sleeping where, but they looked awful. Their Polyjuice was starting to wear off and even though they were half of themselves and half of someone else, I could see how terrified they were. Granger and Potter always put on a brave face, Weasley did when necessary, but they looked so vulnerable. I guess putting your lives in the hands of two Death Eaters isn't something comforting.

Draco had a disgusted look on his face when I pulled him into the bathroom. I could tell he would rather be anywhere but here. Him and Potter had been butting heads ever since they first escaped, but something was telling me being trapped in this tiny room for two days was not going to go over well.

"I can get us a different room if you'd like, Draco."

"As long as they stay far away from me, it should be manageable."

"I need you to be nice if you're going to stay in here. You lot can't fight, they'll be able to hear us from downstairs or from the other rooms."

"Did you give them this lecture, or just me? I'm not the problem, Potter and his fools are."

"They said the same about you. If you want another room, I'll get us another room."

"You need to be able to protect them. I get it. I'll try."

"Thank you."

"You certainly owe me, big time."

"And what is it that you'd like?"

"I think you know exactly what I would like. Let's get this shitshow over with so I can have you all to myself again," he growled in my ear.

I stood on my tip toes and gave him a quick kiss before whispering the three little words in his ear. We regrouped back in the main room with the others and they were all staring at us when we came out. By now, they had fully returned to their own looks, but their staring was uncomfortable.

"What's gotten into you dimbos?" Draco asked with a smirk.

"This is going to be a long two days," Weasley mumbled.

"All of you, listen to me. I just gave Draco the same speech in the bathroom-"

"Oh, that's all you were doing? We all had our ears covered," Weasley said louder.

"Shut it, Ronald. You four will all be civil these next few days, do you hear me? The walls here are not thick, if there is even a second of fighting, our cover will be blown. If you think you're going to lose your temper, go stand in the corner or something. I'm talking to you boys."

"What? Give ourselves a time out?"

"Yes, Potter. Give yourselves a time out if necessary."

The three boys all rolled their eyes at me which caused Granger and I to both crack a smile. There wasn't a whole lot of that going on recently, so it was nice to feel even a drop of happiness. Draco stood behind me, wrapping his arms around my waist and pulling me close to him. In this moment, I did mind. I wasn't uncomfortable, I actually felt safe. It was good.

   When you're in a situation like the two of us were,
you have to realize how quickly everything can be taken away. Bellatrix could have killed me a million times, Draco might not have made it down and I would have bled half to death, I would have made. a dumb mistake and got caught. People don't appreciate who and what they have until they're on the brink of losing it, and it's sad. Just plain and simple, it's sad.

I'm usually never this sentimental, but standing in a room of unlikely allies really makes a person rethink their life. Draco buried his head in the crook of my neck and kissed it once or twice before just standing there, hugging me from behind. I loved him so much. I barely showed it or treated him like the love of my life, but he was.

Our relationship would always be complicated. We're two bold personalities who have clashed every day in the past, why would not be different? We will never stop fighting like children or calling each other names, but we'll also never stop protecting and supporting the other, no matter how stupid. That's when you know it works. When you can be complete arseholes to each other every so often, but still be strong enough to see and feel the love.

We just had to make it though this war, then we would have eternity.