chapter thirty nine

The next morning
Alora Slater POV

I didn't want to have to go home today, but my mother requested that I spent the summer with her. This time, I was actually allowed to spend the holiday with her and was not required to stay at the Manor. I guess it would be nice to go home for awhile, it might be comforting. It would also be beneficial to spend some time with my mother, I really think we should have a conversation.

She's been avoiding me, it's abundantly obvious. What isn't clear though is why. She always wanted me to be more like her and now that I am, she refused to speak to me. Why couldn't I do anything right for her? Why is it that no matter what I did, she would never love me? I was her child for goodness sake, and she couldn't even write? I never understood why she always chose Adrian, we were practically one in the same. Maybe he reminded her of dad.

   "You're leaving?"

   I whipped around to see Draco standing in the doorway of the guest room. He had a bit of a sad look on his face but he covered it up well. I dropped the bag I was holding on to the bed and walked towards him slowly.

   "My mother wants to see me."

   "And you're just going to go when she calls? She's ignored you for half a year."

   "Which is why I need to see her."

   "When are you coming back?"

   "Whenever the next meeting is."

   "But nobody knows how long that will be."

   "And?"

   "So you're just going to leave without a plan to come back?"

   "Why are you so interested?"

   "What is wrong with you? Is there something actually wrong with your brain?" He scoffed.

   "Excuse me?"

   "I don't sneak just anyone out of parties."

   I couldn't manage to hide my smile anymore. Was he trying to say that he cared about me? It's about time. Draco was never one for expressing his feelings all too well, and this was just adorable.

   "What are you trying to say, Draco?"

   "I'm not trying to say anything. I just think it's a bit strange that you're leaving with such little information."

   "It's not a problem for me, I don't see why it is for you."

   "It's a problem because I..."

   "Go on."

   "No," he replied curtly.

   "Why not?"

   "You're enjoying this too much."

   "I am. Now tell me that you care about me and maybe I'll consider staying."

   "I do not care about you, go then."

   "You're ridiculous."

   I turned my back to him and resumed packing the bag I had brought from school that night. I had no idea when I would be able to get the rest of my things that were still at Hogwarts. I certainly couldn't go back there. Behind me, I heard Draco's feet shuffling and him sigh before taking a single step forward.

   "Fine."

   "Fine?" I said with my back still turned to him.

   "You're really making me do this?"

   I turned with a chuckle.

   "I am really making you do this. Otherwise, how will I know you're serious?"

   "Alora Slater, as much as I hate to admit it, I do care for you," he said gallantly, half bowing as he said it.

   "It's about time."

   I turned back and tossed the last shirt into my bag before taking extra time to close it. I didn't have a chance to though before I felt his arms wrap around my waist and his face nuzzle into my neck, right next to my ear.

   "You made me do that, and you aren't even going to say it back?" He growled.

   "That wasn't part of the deal."

   "It is now."

   I placed a single hand on the back of his neck before pulling him off of me and turning around to face him, carefully linking my fingers behind his head. He looked down into my eyes as I stared up into his. We were standing dangerously close, I could practically feel his heart beating.

   "I care about you too."

   He smiled playfully before kissing my lips softly, grabbing a handful of my hair as he did so. The door was open so we both knew this wasn't going far, but this kiss was different from the one last night. He really meant it this time. It wasn't just because I "looked insanely hot while yelling at him," but because we actually came to terms with our feelings. We didn't have to hide it anymore.

   "My mother really likes you, you're more than welcome to stay," he whispered in my ear.

   "What am I going to do about my mother though? And your father?"

   "My father is barely around anyway, and he doesn't have a problem with you... that's just how he is with everyone. As for your mother, go see her."

   "You want me to go see her?"

   "I know you've  been trying to work on things with her. Go see her for a little while, then come back. Not for too long though, I'll miss you."

   "Why don't you just come with me while I go, and then we can come back here?"

   His eyes widened before staring down at me curiously.

   "Well you don't have to, there's no reason to make that face."

   "I'll come."

   "It's obvious you don't want to, I'll only be a day or two."

   "No, I do want to. It just caught me by surprise. That's a very... interesting thing for you to offer."

   "Interesting?"

   "That you want to spend more time with me than you need to."

   "You're severely overthinking this."

   "I'll pack my things," he said with a smile before closing the door behind him.