chapter forty two

Alora Slater POV

   "Depends," I said.

   "Slater, come on. It's been half a year since we've spoken. Dont you think it's time we moved on from whatever this is?"

   "Depends."

   "I'm serious. I want to spend my last year with my best friend," Pansy pleaded.

   "Pansy, I don't know..."

   "I won't ask about whatever screwed up personal things you have going on. We'll strictly talk about school or me or anything besides you."

I pondered for a moment before smiling and getting up to walk with them back to their table. I sat across from Pansy and Daphne, having the side to myself. Draco smiled at me from across the aisle and gave me a slight nod. Daphne hugged me before I could sit down, but I let her. It was nice having my friends back.

"Alright, I do have to break that promise for just a minute," Pansy said cautiously.

"One time," I said sternly.

She turned to the other table slightly.

"I'm going to ask the obvious, what the hell is going on with you two?" She asked looking between Draco and I.

Draco snickered and looked down at the table before turning to me and giving me a questioning look. This was all up to him, he would have to tell them if he was alright with them knowing. I didn't want to say anything to upset him, I know he likes his privacy. He looked to me for guidance but I just shrugged and turned the other way.

"Slater and I..." he started, but trailed off.

"You guys came in together. Holding hands and whispering," Goyle said gruffly.

"What happened?" Daphne asked.

Draco's eyes widened and looked to me once more with a pleading look in them. We hadn't come up with a cover story yet, and now we needed one. That was some excellent preparation on our part.

"Draco and I ran into each other in Hogsmeade one day in the summer. Our parents got to talking and so did we," I started. The rest was up to him.

"Since our parents are... friends... Slater came over a few times and well..."

"Just spit it out, are you two dating?"

"Yes," Draco and I said simultaneously.

Everyone had the same reaction, either slapping their hands over their mouths or looking like they've been hit with Stupefy. Draco and I waited for their objections, but they never came. The five of them just remained frozen, staring at us with wide eyes and mouths agape.

"Well why are you at separate tables then? Malfoy, get over here!" Pansy yelled in excitement.

Draco sighed before getting up and sliding into the bench next to me, placing his hand over mine on the table. I was surprised he was so alright with all of this, being so open. I would have thought he wouldn't have wanted to even admit it, let alone hold my hand out in the open. It was certainly surprising, but I liked it. As nice as it was though, it wouldn't last long.
-
A few hours later, the others went to go walk around the train. They said they were going to go check out the new Gryffindors, but judging my Pansy and Daphne's giggles, it was to leave Draco and I alone for a little while. When they closed the door hastily, a smile crept across Draco's face as he turned to face me.