chapter forty four

Draco Malfoy POV

   I know I told Alora I wasn't going to go back to my house, but something was off about her and I had to figure out what of was. She seemed too excited to be going on a Death Eater exhibition, she was actually giddy. So giddy that she reminded me of a kid walking into Honeydukes for the first time. I've never seen her like that and it honestly freaked me out.

   I left shortly after her, giving her some time to meet my aunt and get out of there before I showed up. After about twenty minutes I decided it was safe, and so I ran down to the village and apparated home.

   My mother was in her study when I got there. I assumed she wasn't expecting anyone which is why she came running out when she heard the crack of my apparation. She looked briefly surprised but then delighted to see me. My father wasn't around which was probably for the best, him and I weren't on exceptional terms at the moment.

   "Alora left almost fifteen minutes ago, why didn't you two come together?"

   "I told her I would let her do this on her own. Did she seem alright to you?"

   "I'm not sure. She called my sister "Auntie Bella.""

   "Auntie Bella? How mad was she?"

   "Not at all, they were acting like old friends. I knew they'd gotten close last year but I never thought she was on "Auntie" terms."

   "Draco? Is that you?" I heard my aunt calling from somewhere in the house. Why was she still here?

   "Bellatrix? Shouldn't you be with Alora right now?"

   My hand walked into the room confidently yet crazily. She laughed before realizing I was asking a serious question. Alora told me that my aunt called her back, so why weren't they together? Who was she with and where was she?

   "She's with Corban."

   "Why is she with him?" I said with disgust.

   "Didn't you hear? We're infiltrating the Ministry. Her and Yaxley are getting that dimbo, Puis Thicknesse."

   "Getting?"

   "You didn't hear it from me, but I heard Yaxley was letting her perform the Imperius Curse on her own."

   "What? When are they coming back?" I could feel my heart rate rising.

   "Well if everything runs smoothly, ten or so minutes. It doesn't take long to curse someone."

   "She's never done it before, what was he thinking?"

   "Draco, honey, who do you think taught her it? I wish it was me, but I was beaten to it," my aunt huffed.

   "Who has she used it on?"

   "Did she not tell you any of this?" My mother asked me softly from behind.

   "What did the two of you do last year? Over the summer when she wasn't around?"

   "I think you should have a chat with your girlfriend," Bellatrix said before laughing again and turning on her heel and heading upstairs.

   My head was spinning, what was she doing with him? Why had she been keeping all of these things a secret? Now I understood why she was so excited to leave, she was getting to do some things on her own now. Why was she enjoying it though? Alora hated being one of them and all of a sudden she's giggling thinking about cursing people?

   I heard a crack from outside a few minutes later and found myself sprinting down the stairs and looking out the window to make sure it was here. My stomach lurched as I saw her and Yaxley arm in arm with Mr. Puis Thicknesse. She actually did it. Of course, I was obviously proud of her, but how could she do that? They were practically running towards the house and when the door flew open, the smile from her face faded.

   "What did you just do?" I asked her with a small crack in my voice.

"Why are you here?" She asked roughly.

"It's my house. Now what the hell has been going on with you?"

"Can this wait? You could not have picked a worse time," she mumbled to me.

   "Alora, no, this is im-"

   "I'm working."

   Her icy tone sent chills down my spine. Who was she? I had never seen this side of her, even before we were together. She was the girl who took the Cruciatus Curse over and over again so she wouldn't have to just hurt someone, and now she's excited to use the unforgivable curses? A million questions were running through my mind and I couldn't focus on a single one.

   She walked past me, ignoring my objections, leading Yaxley and Thicknesse into the meeting room. Thank Merlin I chose to come home today, the meeting completely slipped my mind. Could I bring myself to sit next to her right now, though? My mother wrapped her arm around my shoulder and she guided me to the room, giving me one last sad smile before taking her seat.

   Alora sat smugly in her chair, watching me walk around the length of the table. She wasn't scared to be in here anymore, some of the men even looked a little uneasy to be around her. What had I missed? Not much has happened since the beginning of summer, at least that I'm aware of, so where was all of this coming from? How did she gain everyone's respect?

   I never had the chance to ask her any of the hundred questions I had because the Dark Lord appeared at the head of the table with a sickening smile plastered across his aging face. He didn't look very well, that must mean Potter's doing something right. Maybe they can save my girlfriend while there's still a chance.