chapter forty six

One month later
Alora Slater POV

I had to leave again tonight. I didn't tell Draco about it this time, I would be leaving in the middle of the night and would be gone before he notices. Things were going quite well with us, and I wasn't going to jeopardize that by telling him I didn't want him there. Bellatrix told me she had something fun for me and Draco would not approve of whatever it is. There was no chance I was missing out on an opportunity like this just because my boyfriend didn't warn me to go.

When the moon started rising, I knew it was time to get ready to head out. I should be back by the morning anyway, he would never know I even left. Hopefully his family wouldn't snitch on me though, I'm sure I could ask them to keep it quiet. I got changed and tied my hair back before grabbing my bag and sneaking out of the dormitory.

It was completely dark in the common room, thank Merlin nobody was awake. I felt a wave of guilt wash over me once I stepped out into the silent corridor, barely lit by the moonlight. He deserved better than a girlfriend who sneaks around doing illegal things just for the thrill of it. I would tell him, but Draco would shut it down so quickly.

These outings have become a need of mine. I feel like i'm dying every moment of every day, and only in these moments do I feel alive again. I shouldn't have to give that up because it isn't ethical. Plus, when have the rules every helped me? I used to feel guilty about doing Death Eater activities, but once I learned that I didn't have a choice and this was my life, I tried my best to embrace it.

I snuck out one of the back doors and ran down to the village. The lights from the lampposts cut through the complete darkness and every so often a bird would fly by to break the unsettling stillness. Seeing Hogsmeade like this was strange, I didn't like it. With everything we've been doing, Diagon Alley and most of Hogsmeade have become relatively abandoned.
-
I landed outside of the Manor and knocked twice before being let in my Draco's mother. Bellatrix was waiting behind the door for me and jumped out when I walked in. After scaring the living daylights out of me, she informed me of what we would be doing tonight. Narcissa looked a little worried but didn't say anything, she walked away before I could say goodbye.

"You want us to go terrorize some muggle towns?" I asked in disbelief.

"Don't worry yourself, princess, we aren't going to hurt anyone... not directly at least."

"What's your plan then?"

"I was thinking something huge."

She grabbed my arm before I could ask what she meant by that and we were twisting through space until we landed on the ground in the middle of what looked to be a normal, county town. There was nothing strange about it that tipped me off as to why we would be here of all places. On the outskirts of the town many kilometres away, there was a thick forest with two roads leading out into it.

"Why here?"

"Why not? Take what you want, then come find me," Bellatrix said before kicking a door down which was followed by screaming.

I didn't want to take anything, so I just walked down the streets listening to Bellatrix bust some more doors down. What did these muggles even do? It's not like we could use magic here, if anyone survived whatever we were going to do, we'd be exposed. I kicked stones off of the paved road as I strolled away from the madness.

There was one interesting building that caught my eye. I couldn't exactly tell what it was, but it was big. It also looked relatively new, which was more than I could say for the rest of this place. I looked over my shoulder to make sure nobody was watching and when I saw the coast was clear, I pulled out my wand.

"Alohamora," I whispered, the lock clicked.

I pushed open the heavy door and turned the lights on that I found after walking through the darkness with just lumos. It was a museum of sorts. There were some old paintings and photographs across the walls as well as a few sculptures and artifacts near the back. Why would such a small town have a museum?

The artwork was different from what you would normally see in a museum, it was all made here. This was a sweet place. I ran my fingers over some of the old, dusty sculptures and examined them all closely. They were of people who I assumed had something to do with this place.

"Slater!" I heard Bellatrix screech.

I scrambled out of the museum and back to the road where she was waiting for me. Her bag looked the same but there was undoubtedly a deepening charm on it so she could hold everything she stole. When she saw me her eyes lit up and she rummaged through the sack for something and pulled out a bottle.

"I found some of these, thought we could celebrate with them later," she said as she twirled the bottle of mead in her hands.

"Lucky us. Now come on, what are we doing?"

"Ever seen a forest fire?"

She disappeared in a cloud of black smoke, much like the Dark Lord did. I apparated to the edge of the woods and landed next to her. She looked at me and motioned for me to take my wand out, so I did, and simultaneously we waved our wands and a jet of fire streamed from their tips. The trees lit up beautifully as the flames swallowed them whole.

   I caught the bottle she threw to me after opening and drinking half of her own. I opened it carefully and tried it myself. The liquid burned as it travelled down my throat, but it was a good burn. She came over and wrapped her arm around my shoulder as we drank some more straight from the bottle and watched the trees in front of us burn brightly.

Bellatrix went around and eventually surrounded the town in a ring of fire that was quickly engulfing the entire forest. It was gorgeous, yet so awful. I couldn't help but smile though, it felt so good to be out of that dreary castle for a little. Even if it meant doing something like this, I was fine with it. Bellatrix's cheering was interrupted by a crack, which I assumed was a massive tree falling, but it was only when I heard his voice that I realized it was apparation.