chapter twenty three

Alora Slater POV

Draco had come back to get me just a minute ago. We were silently walking down the stairs and through the house until we got to the meeting room. I wasn't even sure if my mother was coming, I hadn't heard anyone else show up yet. His parents were waiting at the door for us, then the four of us walked in together.

I had noticed Draco get very tense when his father placed a hand on his shoulder. Something told me they hadn't been getting along very well lately, he didn't even give his mother as much as a smile. My mother turned around when she heard the door open and stood up, pulling me into a hug before I could dodge it.

I didn't hug her back, just smiled when she pulled away. Draco and I walked around the table to the opposite side and all the way down to the other end. All of the seats were filled now, except for the Dark Lord's. Bellatrix had gotten up to speak to Draco and scowl at me. I guess she hadn't forgotten about the time I blatantly disregarded her authority over me, I certainly hadn't.

The Dark Lord appeared from thin air along with his snake, which was named Nagini. Bellatrix quickly rushed back to her seat and greeted the Dark Lord. He never got less terrifying, every time I saw him I became more afraid of him.

"Let's get down to business then, shall we? Draco, my boy, how far along are you?"

"The cabinet works, just not flawlessly. Objects will vanish fine and return... just not in one piece."

"When you go back to school, you'll start putting in double the time. This needs to get done."

"I understand, my Lord."

"And you, Alora. I heard there was a bit of a rough first day, how unfortunate. Hopefully things will run a little smoother this week."

"They will, my Lord."

"Good. From what I've heard, you have a way with words. You're going with Yaxley to the Ministry tomorrow."

   "It's going to be great, little girl," Yaxley grinned.

   I nodded and kept my head down, Corban Yaxley was a horrifying man. The thought of spending the day with him tomorrow sent a chill down my spine and gave me an instant headache. We weren't doing a small task either, we were going in public, to the Ministry. What could they possibly have to do at the Ministry of Magic that I needed to be there for?

Nobody was telling me anything, this was all so secretive. It's like they didn't want to give me time to come to terms with what is being asked of me, they just want to throw me in a pool and see if I'll swim. It was a rather unsuccessful tactic, as been proven so far. I was by far the most clueless one here, everything was said in code almost. The real nature of "tasks" were never spoken aloud and minimal details were spilled.
-
The meeting was over after another fifteen or twenty minutes. Instead of leaving quickly and alone, my mother went the opposite way and came over to where Draco and I were standing.

"You'll do fine tomorrow, just do as you're told. I don't want to hear that you didn't follow orders again."

"I'll do my best."

"Are you going to be alright here? I tried to change their minds before you came about letting you stay with me."

"It's fine, mother."

"There's no need to worry, Charlotte." Draco said from beside me.

"I appreciate all that your family does, Draco."

He smiled and nodded, my mother gave my hand a squeeze before following the others out the door. Draco tapped my shoulder and tilted his head towards a different door. I followed him out the side door after nodding. We decided that the side door would be our go-to escape route, many of the Death Eaters lingered outside the main one and we didn't want to get caught up in conversation with them.

We ran up the stairs towards the bedrooms silently and unnoticed. After making sure we weren't being followed, he pulled me in to his room with a worried look on his face. He pointed to his bed which I assumed meant for me to go sit there while he paced nervously around the room.

"Yaxley is no joke, Slater."

"I know."

"No, you don't. I can't help you if you get on his bad side. It only worked for Bellatrix because she is my aunt. Yaxley is ruthless and hardcore. He is mean and has no regard for how you're feeling."

"I understand, Draco. I'll be okay, now stop pacing, you're freaking me out."

"You should be freaked out! What if he makes you kill someone? Will you do it?"

"I-"

"Yes. The only answer is yes. If you don't want to die, you'll do exactly what he says."

"What?"

"Just don't be bitchy tomorrow. Don't be your usual self. Lose your morals for a day, and you'll be fine."

"I can't."

"You can't?"

"Draco, you really think I'll be able to kill someone? Have you met me?"

"Yes, Alora, unfortunately I have met you."

"Then you would know that I'm not a murderer."

"No, what I know is that you're naive."

"I'm not naive, I'm just not a Death Eater."

"But you are! Those are not a good combination, either!"

   That was it. I jumped up from the bed and finally gave him a piece of my mind.

"Just stop for fuck's sake! Leave me alone and stop worrying! I'll be fine, and if I'm not, your life will be so much easier."

I turned and headed for the door. He froze where he was standing, then ran up to me. I felt his cold hand grab my wrist and spin me around, wrapping his arm around my waist and pulling me in. Before I could ask him what the hell he was doing, he slammed me against the wall."