chapter six

Alora Slater POV

The few tears trickling down my face were wiped away by my gloves quickly. His newspaper dropped on to the table and he smirked as he watched me wipe my eyes one more time. Arrogantly, he turned on the chair so he was now facing me. I could just run and not deal with him, but I was somewhat intrigued. What was someone like Draco Malfoy doing in a run-down cafe like this?

   "Crying because your boyfriend left?" He smirked.

   "That's my brother, you numpty."

   "You dressed like that to meet your brother?"

   "What's that supposed to mean?"

   "What are you even doing here? I've never seen you in this place."

   "Malfoy, I come here all the time. I was going to ask why you're here, isn't this place a little below your standards?"

   "For your information, I've been coming here for years."

   "Well, this place has been ruined for me forever. I'm going to go."

I walked past him, nudging his shoulder on the way out. I could hear him scoff at me as I closed the door and headed back for the castle. The ground was covered in a fresh layer of snow that crunched under my boots. There wasn't anything else I needed to do today and I've already done all of my homework.

The castle was quiet, there were some students roaming the corridors but that was about all the action it was getting. I headed for the library, there were a few books I could kill some time by reading. There were a couple Gryffindors in the far corner near the restricted section, but it was empty otherwise.

I needed a few Potions books, it wasn't my strongest class. There was something about
Snape's voice that made me want to do anything else but listen to it. I certainly wasn't struggling, but it would definitely be wise to get a jump on next years lessons. The professors already hated me enough, I didn't need to be behind next year.

I had a stack of books when I left the library an hour or two later. There was a copy of Advanced Potion Making on the top, I didn't need it until next year but I had to find something productive to do for another week. The corridors were oddly silent, not even the portraits were around. All of the ghosts were elsewhere and any kids who stayed for the break were nowhere to be found.

I've never seen the corridors this quiet before, in all five years of being here, it has never been so quiet. It was unsettling and I had a strange feeling about being out here. My feet started carrying me to the common room much faster and my heart started pounding. I saw the entrance of the room and I couldn't remember the last time I had felt so relieved.

"Pure blood."

The door slowly revealed itself and I burst through it, closing it swiftly behind me. I was so frazzled that the stack of books toppled over and hit the floor. Once they were all picked up, I heard an almost silent snicker coming from the back corner where it was too dark to see who it was, but I already knew.

"Hell happened to you?"

"Nothing," I huffed, making a break for the dormitory stairs.

"Hey, slow down Slater."

Draco emerged from the shadows as he stood up from the sofa. He walked over to me, blocking the door once again, he enjoyed doing that for some reason. I rolled my eyes as he examined the stack of books that were in my hand. He picked up the top one and flipped it open, skimming the pages before slamming it shut.

"Advanced Potion Making? Now what would you need that for?"

"It's not easy being top of our year, I need to get ahead."

"God, you're such a nerd."

"You're just mad that you're third this year, bet it isn't fun being beaten out by two girls... one of whom is muggle-born."

"Shut up."

"I can just imagine you getting off the train and having to tell your daddy that you're the third smartest, he must be so disappointed."

"At least I still have one."

My jaw hit the floor as I stared at him in disbelief. Did he really just go there? There were some things that were off limits, this being one of them. It just wasn't something you ever brought up, and he never had, until now. I wanted to kill him.

"Yours might as well be gone, he obviously doesn't love you."

You could literally see the fire ignite in his eyes when I said that, obviously I had struck a nerve. I knew there had to be a reason he didn't go home, I just didn't know it was because of Mr. Malfoy. It's interesting, isn't it?

"Shut your goddamn mouth."

"Make me."

Before I could react, a cold hand wrapped itself around my throat and had shoved me into the wall next to the door. He was furious, I couldn't think of a time I had ever seen him like this. Usually he was decent as covering up his emotions, never has he had an outburst like this. I liked it.

I flashed him a wicked smile as his grip tightened, slowly cutting off my oxygen supply. It didn't hurt yet, I could certainly last a little longer. He didn't enjoy my smile, I could tell because he slammed me into the wall once again. This time it was much harder and it definitely did hurt. I tried my best not to wince, I couldn't show any weakness to him.

We stood there for a moment, staring at one another and not looking away for even a second. Eventually, our breathing slowed down and his hand dropped to his side. I could already feel the hand print forming on me. I would be able to see it tomorrow, looks like turtlenecks for the time being.

"Pussy," I cackled.