chapter sixty three

Alora Slater POV

   The wind whipped my hair all around my face so I couldn't exactly see what was happening. All I knew was that I was no longer on solid ground and was likely falling to my death. The sound of Draco screaming my name haunted me and kept replaying as I fell in seemingly slow motion. It took forever for me to hit the ground again.

My shoulder hit first, then the rest of my body collided with the ground in a crumpled heap. I was face-down into the floor so I had no idea what floor I was on, how bad the fighting around me was or if I was even still alive. Well, I guess I must have been alive because the pain was shooting through me like lightning.

I finally mustered up the strength to turn myself over on to the side of my better shoulder. I looked to be on the second floor near the Defence Against the Dark Arts office. My entire body felt like it was on fire, but after checking, I realized there were no actual flames. I felt around the ground for my wand but it must have been buried in the mounds of rubble decorating the floor.

   There were spells zipping past my head as I tried to move to closer to the nearest wall so I wasn't in the middle of all the action. Along the stone wall, I saw a wand. I couldn't tell from the distance if it was mine, but it was still a wand. I clawed my over there, crawling over bricks, wood and bodies and eventually I made it. My hand wrapped around and held on to that wand for dear life.

I screamed Draco's name, trying to figure out where he was, but there was no response. The wand in my hand was in fact mine, I was so lucky that it didn't break on the way down. There was no way I could stay here, I'd have to make it though the pain. My ears were ringing with all of the collapsing bits of the building and the screams. No real sounds could be picked out from the jumble of noise I was hearing.

"Reducto," I managed to cough out at one of the men yelling an incantation.

I had to find Draco. Neither of us could be alone in this, especially in our conditions. I managed to pull myself to the Defence Against the Dark Arts office and lock the door quickly behind me. I just had to fix myself up enough so I could stand. There were three spells I kept switching between, them being Episkey, Brackium Emendo and Ferula. These all worked well enough and after about fifteen minutes of being locked in, I was in good enough shape to return to battle.

The pain was still awful, but my bones had been snapped back into place and mended well enough, and my open wounds had been either pulled shut or bandaged tightly. I unlocked and opened the door quickly and slipped around the corner of the corridor. There was nobody around, nobody alive at least. It was nearly impossible not to step on a body now, and if you accidentally did, the nausea was instant.

Draco was likely still up above me somewhere, he would know better than to come back down here. At least, I would hope so. We never really had the "Leave me and save yourself," talk, probably because it would not have gone over well. The higher up you went, the less people seemed to be there. That's where I would have to go. I could also see better from up there, I could look down to all of the floors.

I wasn't anywhere near the stairs, in fact, I had been going to opposite way of them. Turning around was probably not the smartest idea, it was no better that way then ahead of me. I could loop around the floor and come at the stairs from a different angle, I was right in the middle of both directions. There was no benefit whichever way I went, I just had to make a choice.

Ultimately, I decided to loop around. I had already seen what was going on back there, it only made sense to keep moving forward. I gripped my wand so tightly I thought my fingers may break, but trudged through the barren corridors of what once was Hogwarts. Chills shot down my spine with every step, I was terrified of what might be lurking around the next corner.

   When I reached the end of this corridor, I slowed to a stop before rounding the corner. I tried listening to what was going on, but there was no much noise I couldn't tell where it was coming from. I took a breath and whipped around the corner with my wand out. It was completely empty except for two people.

   Two people I hoped I would never have to see together ever again.