chapter sixteen

Alora Slater POV

I walked past Draco, leaving him in the bathroom alone. The stairs lead in to the sitting area and I didn't know where else to go. When I reached the bottom step, I took in the empty room. There wasn't anywhere for me to go, so I waited until someone came and told me where I was needed.

A few minutes later, Lucius Malfoy gracefully emerged from the east corridor. When he saw me, his expression changed slightly, just barely, but he wasn't as disgusted with me as he was just less than an hour ago. He raised a pointed finger at me, then beckoned for me to follow him down the corridor. I did as I was told.

We reached the end of the corridor and I saw my mother standing tall beside a door. When she saw me, she jumped a little then pulled me into a hug. Quickly, she pulled away and stared at me with wide eyes. Before I could object, she pulled my left sleeve up and examined the tattoo on my arm.

"How did it go?"

"Fine."

"The meeting is starting in just a few moments, you need to come in."

"Okay."

She opened the door and went in first, I followed, then Mr. Malfoy came in last. There was a massive table in the center of the room surrounded by expensive looking chairs. Some of them had grown, terrifying men sitting in them, five of them were empty. My mother told me where to sit, there were two empty chairs and I took one of them. Mr. Malfoy sat at the one next to the head of the table, on the left side.

There was a man sitting next to me, looking at me closely. Actually, all of them were looking at me. It made sense, I was new and I was young... I was also a girl. The only reason they didn't say anything was because my mother was sitting just down the table from me. She saw them looking at me, but she didn't say anything.

Suddenly, the cloud of smoke had reappeared right behind the seat of the head table. When it dissipated, I could see the Dark Lord standing behind the chair with a massive snake beside him. He pulled out the chair and the snake slithered on the table. The Dark Lord peered at the empty chair next to me, then turned to Mr. Malfoy.

"Where is he, Lucius?"

"I'm sorry my Lord, I didn't know you wanted him here."

"We have someone new joining us, of course I want him here."

"I'll get him."

Mr. Malfoy rapidly and clumsily stood up from the table and scurried out of the room. He slammed the door behind him and it was completely silent. Some of the men shifted uncomfortably in their seats, the Dark Lord did not move. Breaking the silence, a crazy-haired woman sighed loudly and slammed her elbows on the table.

"So, who's this little darling?" She asked, staring down the table at me. I assumed she was the Dark Lord's right hand.

"Now, now, Bella. Be patient."

She crossed her arms and threw herself back into her chair, her manners were not the best. Another minute or so later went by before we heard the door handle twisting. It opened quickly and Mr. Malfoy entered and someone was behind him. I couldn't see who it was though, it was almost like they were hiding behind him. My breath hitched in my throat when Lucius grabbed their arm and pulled them forward.

"There's my boy, come give Auntie Bella a hug!" The woman screeched.

Draco walked across the room and gave the woman an incredibly awkward hug. He shook the Dark Lord's hand quickly, pulling away rather aggressively.

"Hello, Draco. Please, there's a seat waiting for you."

The Dark Lord lazily waved his hand lazily in my direction, motioning to the chair that was next to me. When Draco looked over at me, his eyes widened quickly before the fell to the ground. He pulled out his chair silently and sat down next to me. I tried to breathe, but it felt like there was no oxygen in the room at all.

"Now that we're all here. Everyone, please welcome Alora Slater," the Dark Lord said coolly.

"What's a pretty thing like you doing here?" A man asked from across the table.

A few of the people sitting around him whistled and laughed along with the man. I didn't let them get to me, I didn't smile or frown. My face remained cold and neutral as to not encourage them. The snake on the table snapped at the man who started it all, and everyone immediately hushed up.

"I assume you and Draco already know one another?"

"Yes, we do," Draco answered before I had a chance to even open my mouth.

"Good. Draco since you're so eager to talk, tell us, how are things coming along?"

"Quite well, my Lord."

"Will we be able to carry out our plan soon then?"

"I need more time."

"Don't disappoint me."

"I won't. It will get done."

"Yaxley, how is the plan to infiltrate the Ministry coming?"

My shoulders tensed, they were planning to infiltrate the Ministry of Magic? I listened closely, trying to get caught up on everything I needed to know. I still didn't know what I was here for, it seemed they had something for everyone to do. There wasn't an obvious place for me to fit in, so I was curious to hear my name again.

"And now, for you," He said, pointing his wand at me, I sat up straighter and looked him in the eyes. It was terrifying.

"Alora, I've heard a lot about you, I know what you're capable of..."

I stared intently waiting for him to continue.

"Top of your class, broom expert, incredibly manipulative..."

I already hated the way he trailed off his sentences, never fully finishing them.

"I have something special for you."