chapter thirteen

One week later
Alora Slater

My curls flowed over my shoulders nicely after an hour of adjusting them. I looked in the mirror at my outfit, my mother had picked it out because she knew what is and is not acceptable. I sported a black knitted sweater and black and dark grey checkered pants. The boots I was wearing were chunky, combat boots and I wore the necklace that was given to me for my birthday.

I didn't hate the outfit, but I hated what would be under my sleeve in an hour. Just one more hour. I had spent the week coming to terms with it, and slowly I have. Am I terrified? Of course, and I have every reason to be. Being angry wasn't worth it though, this wasn't anyone's fault and there wasn't anything that could be done to prevent it.

"Alora, let's go!"

My mother called me down so I went. I had to grip the railing so tight that my knuckles turned white as I walked down the stairs. She was waiting in the kitchen, leaning on the counter as she watched me walk down the stairs. Adrian was sitting in the living room but got up and joined my mother when he heard me coming down.

"Are you ready?" She asked.

"No."

"I know. You look nice, very appropriate."

"Well you picked my outfit out, I would hope you'd think it's alright."

"You cannot have an attitude today. I know this seems awful, but you will get yourself killed if you mouth off."

"Got it, sorry."

"Don't speak unless you are spoken to, don't ask questions, don't stare."

"Okay."

"It'll be fine, you'll be fine."

"Tell me again, exactly what happening today."

"We're going to go, apparition. You are going to go into a room with the Dark Lord, you'll be branded. Hopefully he'll give you some time before the meeting starts. Then, you'll join us at the big table and the meeting will start."

"How much does it hurt? Don't sugar coat it please."

"It hurts a lot."

"What's it feel like?"

"Like your arm is melting. You'll probably be sick after, you might even pass out. It's very likely you won't be able to scream because of how bad it is."

I swallowed hard, trying not to cry now. I couldn't cry today. If I cried once, I would cry again. Maybe after the meeting, but definitely not now. If there was ever a time for me to be strong, it was now.

"Okay."

"We need to go soon."

"Do I need to bring anything?"

"Just your wand."

I felt in my pocket to make sure it was still there, which it was. She nodded slightly when I looked back up at her. I hadn't seen my mom cry in years, but she was struggling to hold back tears right now. Adrian put a hand on my shoulder and pulled me into a hug. I couldn't stay mad at him, especially not now.

My mother held out her arm, which I was hesitant to grab hold of. The second I touched her, that was it. She looked at me sadly, but kept her arm suspended. I lifted my arm, which weighed a million pounds, and placed my hand on it.
-
My feet hit the ground abruptly, I stumbled a bit but my mother grabbed me before I could fall. We were standing outside of a massive, black mansion. The iron gates were closed and locked but they opened when my mother stepped up to them. She lead me through the gates and up to the door.

The massive door dragged open slowly and in the doorway stood Lucius Malfoy. Apparently he had gotten out of prison. A playful smile flashed across his face before falling back to a slight frown. He stared down at me rudely, then looked back to my mother who stood boldly before him. She wasn't even intimidated by him in the slightest. I was, I felt so insignificant standing in front of him.

"Lucius," my mother greeted him coldly.

"Charlotte," he responded, smirking, "Please, come in."

He moved out of the way and gestured for my mother and I to enter the house. He closed the doors behind us and lead us in to the sitting area just through the door.

"So, who are you?" He looked down at me, quite rudely.

"Alora Slater, sir," I sounded much more confident than I felt.

"You're the Slater girl, hm? Interesting, you don't look anything like I would have thought."

I didn't say anything, just nodded and looked around the room. It was dark, all the furniture was black leather or dark wood. None of the windows were open and there was no natural light coming in, only some dim lamps gave off light.

"So, Charlotte, you're early."

"I'm not here for you, Alora has some business to do. By the way, prison isn't a good look on you."

"Business? In my house?" He said, blowing past the prison comment, but frowning more.

"Surely you've heard."

"Maybe I have. But please, enlighten me."

"Is He here, Lucius? We don't have time for this today."

He looked down at me once again.

"Last door on the left down the west corridor," he said, glaring at me. What was his problem?

"Thank you, sir."

My mother squeezed my hand once more before turning us away from Mr. Malfoy. She looked me in the eyes before I gave her a smile and pulled away. It was time, like, right now. I couldn't breathe, all the oxygen had been sucked out of the room. I was so nauseous, but I think I looked fine.

I was walking down the corridor and it felt like the walls were closing in around me. I could see the door that I was needed in. I could see the door that behind which the Dark Lord himself was sitting and waiting for me. I picked up the pace slightly, trying not to keep him waiting.

I was almost at the door when I heard another one open from beside me. Before I could react, I was being pulled by a strong hand through the door.