chapter seventeen

Alora Slater POV

I would like it to be known that I am not incredibly manipulative. I don't go around using people to get what I want, no, that's awful. How did he know these things about me? I'm not sure, but I did know that I was not incredibly manipulative, but I could be. "Could" and "am" are very, very different words.

"You'll be spending your time with Bellatrix."

I saw Draco exhale sharply, then the woman from kim before sprawled her arms out on the table and placed her head down. She flashed me a wicked smile before sitting back up quickly.

"We're going to have so much fun, darling. Come, let me get a better look at you."

I stood up and walked around the table until I reached her end. We were about the same height, I might have been a little shorter. She grabbed my chin and pulled my face right next to hers as she examined every feature and every flaw. I looked forward the whole time, I took enough interest in one of the paintings on the wall to be able to ignore her.

She poked and twirled me every which way until she had taken in every little bit of me that I had to offer. She wasn't gentle either, I couldn't tell if it was just who she was or if she was trying to get a rise out of me. All of these Death Eaters seemed to think it was funny to mess with the new girl, and I get it. I would have done the same if I were them.

"She's a pretty one, Draco, have you two ever...?"

"No," I said boldly.

"That's a shame, you and my nephew have so much in common from what I've heard."

"Is that so?"

"I think you already knew that. Probably why you don't get along at school, no?"

"Aunt Bella," Draco started.

"Let me have some fun!" She shrieked.

The walked around me unsteadily, she was absolutely mad. There was not one sane cell in this woman's body. Her demeanour, her vocabulary, her appearance, they all screamed "mad." She ran her wand across my back, flicking my curls one by one as she passed over them. Then, without warning, I felt her wand stab into my back. She got very close and whispered in my ear from behind.

"I'll come find you tomorrow, gorgeous. We'll see what you can really do."

She grabbed me by the neck and pushed me back in the direction of my place at the table. After regaining my footing, I took my seat again, all eyes on me. It wasn't comforting knowing that she knew where I lived, it was a good thing Adrian was moving out after this year.

"If everything is sorted out then, we'll meet in a week before the young ones have to go back to school."

Everyone stood up and bowed before the Dark Lord, I did the same. As quickly as he had come, he vanished in the familiar cloud of thick, black smoke. My mother didn't wait for me to make it around to her side of the table, she just left with the others. I was near the back of the group, Draco right beside me. He looked like he was going to pass out.

"Sit down or something, you look awful," I whispered to him, continuing to look forward.

"Follow me."

He stopped walking and turned on his heel and bolted in the opposite direction. I did a double take before running off after him, this was going to be interesting. When he lead us into a new corridor I hadn't been in before, the door was already half open and he closed it quietly behind me. Before he had a chance to talk I had my wand at his throat and him pinned against the wall.

"What the hell-"

"Why didn't you tell me?" I snapped.

"Tell you what?"

"Tell me what? Are you that fucking stupid? You saw me in my worst moments, and you didn't even tell me!"

"It wasn't imp-"

"It's not important that I have to sit next to you in a Death Eater meeting? How long?"

"Since I've...?"

"Yes."

"Six months."

"That's why you've been strange this year," I mumbled.

"That's why you have too."

"Don't you dare," I stabbed the wand into his throat harder.

"Alora, calm down."

"Calm down? You want me to calm down! I swear, I'll kill you right now."

"No, you won't. You need my help."

"Why the hell would I need your help, I didn't even know you would be there."

"My aunt is not right in the head, you can't be alone with her."

"Clearly."

"Let me help you, let me prepare you."

"What's your task?"

"That doesn't matter right now, you don't have long to get yourself in a sound state to be with Bellatrix."

"What is your task, Draco?"

Tears started to prick the back of my eyes, he looked like he was holding them back too. How did we end up like this? I didn't think we deserved this, we weren't the worst Slytherins... by far. He looked into my eyes and his were sad, whatever it was, it must be impossible.

"I have to kill Dumbledore."

My blood ran cold, like ice had replaced it. He had to kill someone? At sixteen years old, he would have to become a murderer? The Draco Malfoy I knew and hated certainly had a dark side to him, but he was not a killer. He would never be able to go through with it, he would get himself killed.

"Now are you going to let me help you, or not?"