chapter sixty one

Alora Slater POV

   Hermione was holding me by the wrist and pulling me through the crowds of people trying to figure out where they needed to be. We had to make it to the Room of Requirement to find that diadem, and fast. As we were running up the stairs, Weasley yelled something to Hermione and the two of them ran off. I continued making my way to the Room of Requirement alone, Draco had gotten lost somewhere.

   When I made it, Potter was just arriving. The door had revealed itself to us and we burst in, gawking at the condition of the place. It was a hoarder's dream, that's all I could manage to think.

   "McGonagall sent me. Granger and Weasley went to go find something, they mentioned the Chamber of Secrets from our second year. We've got to find that diadem."

   "Start climbing."

   There were mountains of junk in this place, from furniture to trinkets that nobody would have any use for. I climbed the first mound of clutter and scaled the side of it, eventually making it to the top. I stood on a table as I searched the other mountain tops, just looking for something sparkly.

   Potter and I searched for close to ten minutes when we heard the door opened again. We whipped out or wands but quickly realized it was Ron and Hermione. They were completely soaked. I wasn't sure if they found what they were looking for but they immediately joined our search. Coming in right behind them was Draco.

   I jumped off of the pile of rubbish I was digging through and leapt into his arms. I mumbled the words "I love you," in his ear before dragging him further into the mess. I could see the disgust displayed across his face as he took in his surroundings. I had a feeling that the memories of repairing the Vanishing Cabinet last year were all flooding back to him.

   Just then a saw something sparkle from near the top of another mound. I asked Draco to hoist me up, which he did, and I grabbed on to the leg of a chair which was half buried and pulled myself all the way up. I plunged my arm into the mountain and felt it. I felt the tiara.

   "Catch!" I screamed down to Draco, throwing the tiara towards him.

   I jumped off the top of the pile and cast a quick cushioning charm on the ground to soften my fall. I screamed for Hermione and the three of them came around the corner. When they saw Draco holding the diadem, they sprinted towards us. Draco handed it over to Potter who examined it closely, but was then interrupted.

   Goyle, Pansy and Crabbe had come around the corner with their wands pointed at the five of us. Draco put his arm out and shoved me behind him, but I kept my hand on my wand just in case.

   "You two traitors are friends with these criminals now?" Goyle snapped.

   "We aren't traitors, Goyle, we're just doing the right thing for once," I said from behind Draco.

   "Can't even face me yourself, bitch?" Pansy screeched.

   I pushed Draco out of the way and pointed my wand at Pansy, who had a ridiculous smile plastered across her face. This wasn't the girl I was best friends with, she looked terrifying. Her eyes were venomous and she stood with such purpose as she pointed her wand at my chest.

   "Get out of here, all of you," Draco growled.

   "Your girlfriend really corrupted you, didn't she, Malfoy? Come on, we'll still take you," Crabbe snarled.

   "Fuck off, Crabbe."

   "Shut up!" Pansy shrieked.

   She looked me dead in the eyes as though she were waiting for me to make the first move, and I was about to. I didn't know what the hell happened to her, but I was willing to fight her if it meant we got out of here. She was probably going to fight for the Dark Lord's side anyway, anything to earn her parents' approval. She's such a kiss arse.

   "Back the fuck up, Pansy. I don't want to hurt you."

   "Like you could hurt me, I've always been the better witch, Slater."

   One thing she could never master was silent spells, but luckily, I had no problem with them. I cast a silent Stupefy her way but she blocked it and retaliated with Diffindo. Her and I sent curses and hexes back and fourth, the room exploding with colours and blasts of magic. It was only when I heard her scream "Crucio," that I started takings this seriously.

   "You're trying to use the Cruciatus Curse on a Death Eater? The fuck is wrong with you?"

   "You aren't much of a Death Eater, Slater. If you hadn't noticed, you're fighting for the wrong side. You were hardly one of them, you never had the guts. It should have been me!"

   "Pansy, you dimwit! She'll kill you! She's mastered the Cruciatus Curse, yours was meek at best!" Draco yelled out.

   "Let's see then."

   I cast the Cruciatus Curse at her which she just barely dodged. Rapidly, I shot out different spells like Confringo, Diffindo, Depulso, Reducto and Incendio. She sent a few more Cruciatus Curses my way and finally, I hit her. Three of my Diffindo spells broke her shield charm and hit her. Three was definitely too many for a person, let alone a teenager, but she froze and fell backwards. Blood gushed out of her but we didn't have time to fix it.

   My stomach turned but Hermione grabbed my hand and pulled me back, encouraging me to point my wand at Crabbe and Goyle. They barely seemed phased by Pansy squirming and gasping on the ground.

   "Avada Kedavra!" Goyle shouted, aiming at Hermione. I practically tackled her and the curse sailed right over my head.

   "That's my girlfriend, you numpty!" Ron screamed, running after Goyle and turning the corner, disappearing behind the mountains of junk.

   Less than ten seconds later, he was running back screaming. He grabbed Hermione's arm and pulled her away.

   "Goyle set the bloody place on fire!"

   Draco grabbed me and pulled me in the opposite direction. Goyle had conjured a Fiendfyre, surely we were all goners. The fire ripped through the room, destroying everything in its path. I turned around just in time to see Pansy get swallowed by it. If I hadn't been running for my life, I would have vomited.

   We all started climbing various towers when I saw something a few mountains over. Brooms. I began jumping across the room to get to them, landing on tables, chairs and other various pieces of furniture. Draco was yelling for me to come back but there was no way we were making it out alive without these brooms.

   My feet landed on a set of cabinets which began to fall off of the stack. I reached out for anything to grab, and that's when I felt them. I threw my other hand up and pulled myself on to a night table and pried the brooms out of the rubble. It's been years since I've been on a broom, but it's something you can never forget. I tucked the other two under my arm and flew full soles towards Draco.

   Let's hope my flying hadn't gotten too rusty in my years off, our lives really depended on it.