chapter twenty two

One month later
Alora Slater POV

"Why do you have to go home again?"

"Adrian got hurt at work, my mother is going to need me for a few days until Adrian is for sure alright. I'll be back on Friday."

"You seriously have to leave for a week because your brother got hurt?"

"Well I don't want my mother to drink herself to death, so yes, I have to go."

"It's weird, Draco's father needs him to come home for a few days too. Something about his Azkaban sentence, there are some details they need Draco to confirm."

"Really? I didn't even know that was still going on."

"Well you and Draco can't say more than three words to one another before you start fighting, so that's why you wouldn't know."

"Don't be mad at me, it's not like I want to go."

"I know, but you're leaving me with Daphne and the boys, not even the good ones!"

"Excuse me, bitch. She's leaving me with you."

"I have to go, I'm supposed to meet my mother in Hogsmeade in half an hour. Snape's walking me there to make sure I don't bolt."

"Gross, good luck. See you on Friday."

I waved once more before jogging down the steps of the dormitory. I had only packed a small backpack of clothes, but there was an enchantment on it so it could fit a weeks worth of clothes without looking suspicious. I did have clothes at home, after all. Draco was waiting for me in the common room with Snape, who knew the real reason why we were leaving. Recently, I found out Snape was also a Death Eater, he just had to stay at the castle during the holidays so that was why he wasn't at the meetings.

Adrian wasn't actually hurt, although it was a convincing lie. He got a job working with dangerous magical creatures in Scotland, he took the position of someone who's arm got ripped off a month prior. To be honest, it was incredibly cool. Draco stood up when he saw me come down the stairs to come greet me. Snape looked unamused as always.

"Finally, took you long enough," Draco teased.

"Your girlfriend refused to let me leave without a proper explanation."

"You told her?" He whispered, looking shocked.

"No, you idiot. I told her Adrian got hurt at work and I had to go babysit my mother."

"Are you two finished?" Snape asked, tiredly.

"Sorry, sir."

We followed him out the door and outside to the castle grounds and down to Hogsmeade village. Classes started in fifteen minutes, so there weren't any students out here. It made our getaway easier. I doubted Dumbledore bought our stories, but he didn't object to letting us miss a week of class. There was still snow on the ground, it was the beginning of February, it wouldn't be melted for another month or so.

"Obviously I won't be able to be there with you, so don't do anything to make me look bad. I'm looking at you, Slater."

"I'll behave, sir."

"You better. Malfoy, make sure."

"Yeah, I'll keep an eye on her."

"Is she staying at her own house?"

"You can ask me you know, Draco doesn't speak for me. He doesn't have to watch me either."

"See? Strike one already," Snape groaned.

"Sorry."

"You've learned nothing from the Cruciatus Curse, I see. Malfoy?"

"She'll be staying in a guest room at the Manor, the others felt it would be smart to keep a close eye on her. Her mother will be staying at their house though."

"How wise of them."

Draco turned to me quickly and widened his eyes before catching up with Snape. He knew that Bellatrix cursed me... and thought it wasn't an awful thing? That just goes to show how much I've made Snape hate me. I join the cause and he still can't lose the attitude about me in Potions class. I scoffed and continued trudging through the snow.

We reached Hogsmeade and were lead down an abandoned alleyway. Snape would he apparating us to the Manor and then returning back to Hogwarts quickly. He held out both of his arms, and Draco and I each took one. We were gone with a crack and a twist.
-
I landed sturdily this time, luckily I didn't embarrass myself. We were standing outside of Draco's house, waiting to be let in. The iron gates slowly opened, squeaking and groaning with every foot they opened.

"Don't let me down," Snape said before leaving the two of us alone at the gate.

Draco's parents were waiting at the door for us, the path from the gates to the actual front door was unnecessarily long. They both shook my hand before granting us entry and closing the door behind them. I didn't see the point of me staying here, it's not like I would run away if I stayed with my mother. She wouldn't let me out of her sight, and I didn't really want to die just yet. I didn't have a choice though, they insisted.

"Draco, show Miss Slater to her room, will you?" His father said gently.

"Follow me."

We walked up the stairs to the familiar hallway that I saw on my first time ever here. He opened the door to a room at the very end of the corridor and let me go in first. The room was very nice, dark wood and black, it fit the theme of the house.

"My room is just across the hall and down if you need anything, it's the first door you'll come across. This door connects to your bathroom," he said, pointing to a door across the room.

"Thank you."

"I'll come back and get you when it's time for the meeting to start."

"Okay."

He turned his back to me and walked out the door, stopping just on the other side of it.

"Try not to need anything."