chapter forty five

Alora Slater POV

The second the meeting was dismissed, Draco wrapped his hand around my arm and dragged me out of the room, not giving me the chance to say goodbye to anyone. He was genuinely angry with me, and I couldn't see why. He was the one who told me last year to do what I'm told, and I am. Why is everyone turning on me?

He roughly shoved me into his room and slammed the door behind him. There was so much force behind it that you could hear the door crumbling on the inside. After throwing me on the bed, he paced around the room running his fingers through his hair in thought. I wasn't sure what to expect from him, he could either be explosive or unsettlingly calm... and I wasn't sure what I was hoping for.

"Tell me what happened," he said flatly.

"When?"

"Today. Start with today."

"I came here, Bellatrix and I talked for a moment before Yaxley and I went to the Ministry. I used the Imperius Curse on Thicknesse and got him on our side. It was the Dark Lord's orders."

"Why were you excited about it? Why do you even know it?"

"Why are you acting all high and above me?"

"TELL ME!" He yelled.

I examined him closely for a moment before deciding what my answer would be. I really just wanted to be away from him right now, so I needed to come up with the perfect thing to say. Something that wouldn't invite further questions but makes me seem sane and like a decent person. It also had to have some truth to it, he could go ask someone and get the real story at anytime.

"Yaxley taught me the curse last year. I've been practicing with your aunt for a while. I got excited when I was offered a real job in the bigger plan. I wasn't talking my way into someone's office... I got to prove myself, Draco. So, I'm sorry I was excited... it wasn't about the curse itself, but getting recognized for something other than being the dud."

He listened to my words very carefully as though he were thinking about each one individually. He closed his eyes and processed what I said, and it seemed to work. I felt bad manipulating him like this, but he couldn't know I was actually excited to use the curse. The adrenaline rush was everything, it made me feel alive again, and I needed it.

After standing frozen for another few moments, he came and sat down next to me on the bed and pulled me into a hug. Having his arms around me was nice, maybe I didn't want space after all. He pulled me down with him playfully, we fell on to the bed in each other's arms. I think this was our first real close call, we haven't had an actual fight as a couple yet. It was going to happen soon though, I couldn't hide from him forever.

   He seemed uneasy. His breathing was a little faster than normal, so was his heart rate, and he kept adjusting his position in the bed. Obviously this whole situation was troubling him, but he didn't need to worry.

   "Draco, I'm fine. Everyone is fine," I whispered to him softly.

   "You aren't fine though. Physically maybe, but you've been acting strange."

   "I know."

   "You can talk to me, you know. I'm always going to listen to you."

   "Thank you."

   He wrapped his other arm around my front and squeezed me so tightly that I couldn't breathe. He rolled over on top of me and just looked down into my eyes. It feels like we've been together forever, but it's only been three months, time flies when you're with the perfect person for you. I wish we hadn't wasted to much time hating each other, because now he's my best friend and my rock.

   I half sat up and kissed him quickly before falling back down on to the bed. He smiled and laid on my chest gently after rolling back beside me. His platinum blonde hair was so soft, I could play with it forever. We laid there in silence for a while, just being in each other's company was nice.

   And with our breathing in sync, we fell asleep.