chapter seven

1996
Last day of fifth year
Alora Slater POV

"Ready?" Pansy asked from the doorway.

With a quick swish of my wand, my trunk that was sitting on the end of my bed closed and locked itself. My owl was in her cage and I had grabbed the last of my things a moment or two ago. Pansy and I dragged our trunks down to the common room to meet up with the rest of the group. Today was the day we all went home for the summer, I wish it wasn't though.

"Nice of you two to finally show up," Blaise joked.

"Don't start," Pansy snapped back.

The boys all left so the three of us girls left without them. There was an empty corridor we're supposed to put our belongings in to be brought to the train. We dropped or things and passed the boys in the hall as they made their trip to the storage place. The train departed in just over three hours, we had the whole morning to kill before the closing ceremonies.

The seven of us all went to the Great Hall to hang out until we got bored and wanted to do something else. I sat down between Blaise and Daphne and across Draco. He seemed a little upset, like he wasn't fully here, it wasn't very noticeable, but he seemed off. I didn't really know how else to explain it other than just being off.

"Slater?"

"What?"

"Excited to go home?"

I looked up at Goyle who was asking. He never spoke to me unless he was making fun of me about something.

"Uh, sure."

I really wasn't in the mood to talk about going home. Adrian was meeting me at the station and then we would be apparating to the house. I specifically asked him to, I wanted to put off seeing my mother for as long as possible. Hopefully she wouldn't want to talk much when we got there, I already knew I wouldn't be in the mood for her.
-
We all walked down to the carriages together, the boys got one and us three girls got our own. We made it to the woodsy station and all boarded the train. There were massive piles of students' belongings on the ground nearby, good to know they took such good care of our things. The seven of us made our way through the train and to the Slytherin cars at the back.

I sat a table with Blaise and Daphne, while the others sat at the one across the aisle from us. Pansy liked to kiss Draco's ass even though she didn't even like him like that. Of course, when she was younger she had a massive crush on him. They even dated for some of their fourth year, but it turns out Pansy actually likes girls.

Daphne and I tried to tune out her talking about her new girlfriend who she talked about nonstop all morning. Blaise had zero interest in her either, so the three of us tried to make our own conversation. Pansy was so incredibly shrill though, we could hear her loud and clear no matter how hard we tried not to.
-
A few hours later, the group wanted to go bother some of the Gryffindors, but I really wasn't in the mood. I wanted to savour the few hours left of being away from my family in peace. It was sort of a tradition, we always went to bother them one last time before we reached the station, but this time just wasn't appealing.

"You guys go, I'm not feeling it right now."

"You're not feeling it? Slater, what's gotten into you?" Pansy inquired.

"Nothing's gotten into me, just go. I'll be here when the lot of you get back."

She stared at me for another moment before I waved her away. Goyle, Crabbe, Blaise, Daphne and Pansy all left the car, Draco was nowhere to be found. I didn't even notice he had left, maybe he was waiting for them in the Gryffindor car. I laid back and looked out the window, watching the beautiful scenery zip by the window.

"Did you scare everyone else off?"

I turned my head to face Malfoy and gave him a nasty look.

"They went to the Gryffindor car."

"So why are you still here?"

"I didn't want to go."

"That's unlike you."

"So I've heard."

He had changed out of his robes and was now wearing a completely black suit. What on earth did he need to be wearing a suit for? I looked him up and down before returning my attention to his eyes, which glittered with amusement.

"Like what you see?" He snickered.

"Contrary to what you might think, not every girl swoons at the sight of you."

"What, you like girls too then?"

"No, blonds aren't really my type... especially egomaniacal, narcissistic ones."

"Oh, shut up, you love me."

He ginned as he slid into the seat next to me. When his arm reached around my shoulder, I elbowed him hard in the side. His grin flashed into a wince and then a look of anger.

"Go torment some twelve year olds or something, they're more your speed."

Quickly, he got up without another word and left the car to go find the others. I shivered at the thought of his arm around me for two reasons. First, he was ridiculously cold, literally. His hands felt like ice on my arm. Second, it's Draco. He's the most vile creature and I would rather have Devil's Snare wrapped around me.
-
The train screeched to a halt in the station and everyone began to head for the doors. I stood up slowly, trying to remain calm, then reached for the bag I had put on the shelf above us. When my foot hit the platform, that good mood I had been trying to maintain had been instantly shaken when I saw who was waiting for me.