chapter sixty six

Alora Slater POV

   "He's what?" I gasped.

   "He already knew. We were in the corridor when the whispers started. He told me he's known for a while."

   "Oh, Granger," I said, practically throwing myself at her. "What did Weasley say?"

   "Nothing. He didn't say anything."

   "I'm so sorry. Did you tell the little Weasley?"

   "Not yet."

   We just stared at each other. She was trying so hard to keep it together right now, Potter was her best friend. She glanced over at Lupin and Tonks and sighed sadly, leaning her head on my shoulder. Professor McGonagall appeared in front of us which drew our eyes to her.

"This is a lot to ask, but could you three jump in and help with the injured?"

"Of course, Professor," I said with a nod.

Draco intertwined his fingers with mine as he pulled me in the direction of the line of wounded people that reached out the door. We started in the middle, kneeling down before some younger children. Draco picked up the girl's arm gently, examining the break before drawing his wand and muttering "Brackium Emendo."

It felt like hours were going by, we would heal some people but then two more would take their place. It was a never ending cycle, and it was horrible to look at. A few people died in my arms as I was trying to save them, but not so many were too far gone.

   "They're coming back!" A voice yelled from near the massive, shattered windows.

   Everyone who could stood up quickly and began making their way to the doors. Longbottom and some of Potter's friends were leading the way, Granger had pushed through the crowd to be with them. When we walked out, all you could see was the Dark Lord and all of his supports following loosely behind him.

   "Who is that? Hagrid's carrying, Neville who is it?" Ginny Weasley asked.

   "Harry Potter is dead!" The Dark Lord said proudly.

   "No! NO!" Ginny screamed, running forward but being stopped by her father.

   "Silence! Stupid girl... Harry Potter is dead. From this day forth, you put your faith... in me," the Dark Lord said tauntingly. My heart broke for all of his friends.

   The rest of those who were in the castle had by now filed out and were standing, watching the Death Eaters smile and giggle with each other. I hated every single one of those people, they made me sick. The Dark Lord turned around and raised his arms excitedly.

   "Harry Potter is dead!" He yelled, earning laughs and cheers from the supporters. "And now it is time to declare yourself... come forward and join us! Or die."

   For a moment, nobody moved, but then Lucius Malfoy decided to open his mouth.

   "Draco, Draco!" He hissed.

   Draco gripped my hand tightly but didn't move. He didn't want to go over to their side. Now everyone knew his secret, and by omission mine, but that wasn't important. He couldn't leave. I wouldn't let him. His parents stepped to the front of the group and his father held a hand out.

   "Draco... come," his mother said softly.

   "He isn't going anywhere," I said, stepping out from behind the group of professors that shielded me.

   "There she is, our princess in training. All grown up," Bellatrix cackled. "I heard a rumour, that you killed your dear old mummy."

   The Dark Lord waved Bellatrix to silence, she stepped back into the group, ashamed. Draco and I stood tall and stepped out a little more so we were no longer hiding. They couldn't get us to go over there, no matter how much our heads were screaming at us to.

   "It seems you've found yourself on the wrong side, Alora," the Dark Lord said menacingly.

   "I'm exactly where I should be."

   "Still hasn't lost that mouth, I see. A shame I'll have to kill you, you were incredibly talented. A real... asset."

   "You won't touch her," Granger growled.

   Neville Longbottom limped forward so now he was the focus of the Dark Lord. What was he thinking? Bellatrix always bragged about torturing and killing his parents, this wasn't going to end well.

   "Well I must say, I had hoped for better," the Dark Lord said, earning a laugh from the people behind him. "And who might you be, young man?"

   "Neville Longbottom."

   Everyone laughed again and Bellatrix perked up, breaking her fleeting somber state.

   "Well, Neville, I'm sure we can find a place for you in our ranks-"

   "I'd like to say something."

   "Well, Neville, I'm sure we'd all be fascinated to hear what you have to say."

   "It doesn't matter that Harry's gone-"

   "Not now, Neville!" Seamus Finnegan interrupted.

   "People die every day! Friends, family, yeah... we lost Harry tonight, but he's still with us. In here," he said, pointing to his heart. "So is Remus and Tonks... all of them. He didn't die in vain, but you will! Because you're wrong! Harry's heart did beat for us, for all of us! It's not over!"

   Just as Neville pulled the Sword of Gyffindor out of the mangled Sorting Hat, a miracle happened. Harry rolled out of Hagrid's arms and tumbled to the ground. He quickly jumped to his feet, and before I knew it, I was sprinting forwards. I had found a wand laying around with no owner, I picked it up in case I found them. Draco tried to grab me, but when he realized he couldn't, he followed me.

   "Potter!" Draco yelled, getting his attention.

   I threw him the wand and he caught it rather gracefully, then sent a spell flying in the Dark Lord's direction. Draco put up a shield charm as some of the Death Eaters threw some curses our way. He tripped and fell to the ground, Draco threw himself over me. After stumbling for a moment we got up and ran in the other direction, dodging and blocking the curses.

   "Bombarda!" I yelled, exploding the ground behind us injuring many of the Death Eaters chasing us.

   "I love you," I yelled to him as we sprinted away.

   "I love you more, now shut up and run!"