chapter thirty eight

Draco Malfoy POV

   I could tell Alora was uncomfortable with being here, she hated being around drunk men. It's the reason why we never went to the Three Broomsticks during the Hogsmeade visits, she refused to go and that meant Pansy and Daphne refused as well. The boys were always annoyed with her, me included, but now I get it.

   She was gorgeous. I never really noticed it before because I always kept my guard up around her, but it was true. Her green eyes always sparkled when she was happy, her chocolate brown curls bounced when she walked, and her pink lips were soft and perfectly pointed. She was looking down at the ground trying to avoid any eye contact, but she smiled in response to the smirk I sent her from across the room.

Nobody was paying any attention to me, so I managed to slip out of the group I was surrounded by. My father noticed me dodging away but just shot me a dirty look and did not say anything. Alora was standing alone in the corner trying to hide from the already impaired men. They were just throwing back the shots with no regard for how much they were having.

   "Enjoying the party?" I asked jokingly, standing beside her.

   "If only there was something worth celebrating."

   She put her elbows on the table and cupped her face is her hands. Her tiny, perfectly dainty hands had some little cut marks on them that hadn't fully healed. I hadn't noticed them either. I could see some of the Death Eaters eyeing her from near the bar, and by her I meant her breasts. She saw them as well, her eyes were glassy and kept darting around the room.

   "Do you want to get out of here?" I whispered in her ear.

   "And where would we go?" She asked, smiling as she turned slowly to face me.

   "I know a spot. Go wait outside."

   She quickly squeezed my hand under the table so nobody else could see, then dipped away from the party and snuck out the door unnoticed. I slid around the outskirts of the group and made it to the other side of the huge room. There was a vase full of dark, blood red roses standing below a painting of the Slytherin family. I snatched a single flower and closed the door behind me. Cheesy, I know.

I rounded the corner and saw her standing anxiously in the corridor waiting for me. When she saw me her face lit up slightly and she took a few steps towards me examine the rose.

"Here," I said while handing it to her.

"Are you seriously giving me a flower? Who are you and what have you done with Draco Malfoy?"

   "Shut it, I'm trying to be nice."

   "It's weird," she took the rose from my hand and twisted it in here a few times, looking closely at it.

"Well fine, I won't do it again then. Merlin, you always have to make such a big deal out of everything."

"No, it's nice... just weird."

   "It's not weird, now be quiet and follow me."

   She rolled her eyes before doing as I said and following me outside. The moon and the stars were incredibly bright, none of the lanterns were needed for us to see. I lead her down to the garden and stopped at my favourite bench. It was hidden by some of the old, gnarly trees, so we wouldn't be disturbed here. That's why I liked it... it was one of the few unknown and private places here.

"Thanks for getting me out of there," she mumbled.

"I didn't want to be there either."

Silence. I had a feeling she was going to want to talk about earlier, and I didn't know what I was going to say about it. Did I even want it to happen again? Alora and I could never work long-term, we're too explosive. At the same time though, she was gorgeous and funny and witty and... well she was pretty damn perfect.

"You kissed me tonight," she said.

"Yeah."

"If I knew anything about you, I would know not to ask because you won't talk about it."

"You aren't wrong."

"I'm not going to ask, but if this version of you who gives me flowers wanted to say something about it, I would not object."

"Do I want to talk about it?"

"Do I? It's us, Malfoy. How did this even happen?"

"You looked insanely hot while yelling at me."

"You're gross."

"That was not your opinion earlier," I said with a smirk.

"What would have happened if the others hadn't come back?"

"For once in your life, you have a good question."

"I'm being serious."

"Slater, I don't know. Would you have let it happen?"

"I can't believe they're celebrating in there, it's sickening."

   Obviously that was her pathetic attempt at changing the subject, I wouldn't pester her further. This wasn't something she normally talked about, let alone with me, I don't blame her. I didn't want to talk either but I was certainly curious as to what her answer would have been.

   "Dumbledore wasn't good for much, certainly didn't make any of our lives better."

   "How can you say that?" She said angrily, turning to face me quickly.

   "How can you not? When has Albus Dumbledore ever done something for you? For Slytherin?"

   "It's what he hadn't done that was beneficial. We didn't get everything handed to us on a silver platter like Potter and his entitled friends."

   "And when has that ever done us any good?"

   "We learned how to do things on our own, to not be dependent."

   "That's rubbish."

   "The man is dead, Draco. Unfreeze that dead heart of yours and have some sympathy."

   "My heart is not dead."

   "It isn't warm and loving."

   "Bitch."