chapter four

Alora Slater POV

"Merlin!" I shrieked as a light shone from the left side of me.

"Good lord, you don't need to scream," he said bluntly.

"What the bloody hell are you still doing here?" I asked.

"I could ask you the same."

"I never go home for Christmas. You, Malfoy, do every year. Excuse me for being scared out of my mind when I heard someone when I was supposed to be alone."

"You scream really stupidly."

"Okay, time to go," I mumbled.

I started for the steps but stopped when I saw him gliding over to me. It barely looked like he was taking any steps. He stopped about a meter from me, holding himself up off the wall with one hand.

"Why is it that you don't go home, Slater? Mummy get too drunk for you to handle?"

I stared at him with bewilderment. How on earth did he know? It wasn't something I went around bragging about.

"Don't you dare speak about my mother again, you twit."

"Getting defensive I see. Anger isn't a good colour on you, not that anything really is. You're just as pathetic as your dipso mother."

My wand jabbed into the side of his neck at this point, right under his jawbone. He had a look of sheer terror on his face but I chose to ignore it. I could see him shaking slightly, he wasn't good at pretending he wasn't afraid. It was amusing, watching him squirm like this.

"Listen well, if you think for a moment that a weasel like you matters to anyone, you're wrong. Your opinion is shit to me, Draco Malfoy, as it is to everyone else you offer it to unsolicited," I growled.

"Get off of me, you psychopath," he took two hands to my chest and sent me flying into the other wall.

I kept my wand pointed at him, his aimed at my chest. There wasn't anything in the world I wanted more than to hex him right now. He is the most vile and inconsiderate person I have ever had the displeasure of meeting, and I wish I could hex him without getting expelled. Maybe I could get Potter to, he's practically invincible to punishment here.

As my blood pressure lowered, my wand followed suit. A grin spread across his face as I walked for the stairs once again. I could feel him smiling behind me, something as simple as a punch could have him on the group, bleeding. In his eyes, my punch isn't half bad, maybe I could get some more practice.

I slammed the dormitory door behind me. It was an accident, but I was fuming and couldn't help it. I tied the letter I wrote to my owl's leg and told her where to go, then she flew off into the night. Hopefully Adrian would write back, it would certainly make dealing with Malfoy alone for two weeks easier.

I crawled into bed and once again pulled the covers up to my head. I shivered under the blankets but slowly warmed up. Something must be wrong in the Malfoy family for Draco to be spending the holidays here, it was very unlike him. He always talks so highly of his parents that I would have thought he would be excited to be able to see them.

It didn't take me too long to fall asleep, there wasn't much worth staying awake for. I could already tell this Christmas break was going to be much worse than other years, Malfoy was the worst possible person I could be stick here with. There wasn't anyone for me to escape to, and that was going to be hell.
-
According to the clock on the wall, it was nearing five in the morning when I shot up from my bed in a cold sweat. My hands were gripping the sheets so tightly I'm surprised they didn't rip. I hadn't stopped thinking about how Draco knew about my mother, but obviously it finally hit me while I was sleeping.

My mother is a Death Eater. I don't like saying it or even thinking about it, but it is true. It's also no secret that Lucius Malfoy was a faithful follower to the Dark Lord. I don't know why I didn't put the pieces together sooner, I'm just not how they knew. Something tells me my mother doesn't go around advertising that she's an alcoholic.

I shouldn't really be embarrassed, most of the parents of Slytherin children have Death Eater or criminal parents. You could say it runs in the house. I wasn't sure if anyone else knew, god knows Draco can't keep his big mouth closed about anything. Nobody has ever said anything to me about it, but it's not something people really talk about.

Also, I didn't think Lucius Malfoy would go gossiping about something like that, especially to his son. No kid needs to know about that, about their classmate's mother. It's unnecessary and it's honestly immature. I've only met Mr. Malfoy once or twice, but I hated it both times. He's a judgemental and egotistical man, obviously where Draco gets it.

Eventually, I started breathing normally again and laid back down in the bed. My heart was still pounding through my chest but I tried to ignore it. There was this weird feeling in my stomach, not like I was going to be sick, but almost like guilt or sadness. I didn't have anything to be guilty for, so I'm not exactly sure what it meant.

I drifted back to sleep with that thought on my mind.