chapter thirty one

Two months later
April 16th, 1997
Alora Slater POV

   This was the third time I was being called away. Bellatrix wanted me to come along with her this time, she told me to meet her outside Malfoy Manor today at noon. Professor Snape also got her message and he was taking me after his first class this morning. I would have to wait there alone for about an hour or two, but Mrs. Malfoy said I was welcome.

   I had Defence Against the Dark Arts  this morning so the two of us would leave quickly after. I told Pansy and Daphne and they didn't seem suspicious of anything, which was incredibly helpful. Draco didn't seem to know, if he did he hadn't let me know. I grabbed my book and left for class alone. As dumb as this may sound, I've been trying to distance myself slowly from my friends in case something goes really wrong.

   Each time I've been called away, it hadn't gotten easier. The first time I was with a man called Dolohov, we didn't do much, just went to the Ministry. Second, I was with Mr. Malfoy and he also brought me to the Ministry, but it was an all day thing. I pretty much sat in his office and did some eavesdropping on Mr. Thicknesse.

Now I was with Bellatrix Lestrange. The psychotic, violent woman who was somehow related to Draco. I couldn't see it. She really hated me so I was incredibly nervous for today. Chances are I would get the Cruciatus Curse again, I couldn't see how it was still amusing to her. She's done it so many times you would have thought she'd get bored eventually.
-
   "Class dismissed."

   Everyone got up and closed their books, filing out of the classroom at their usual leisurely pace. Draco lingered for a little longer than normal, but ultimately left so Snape could talk to me alone before we had to leave.

   "The Malfoy's are expecting us soon, we need to leave now."

   "Understood."

   We walked out of the classroom quickly, I practically had to run to keep up with him and we had barely entered the corridor. When we turned the corner out of the classroom, I ran into Draco... and I mean literally.

   "Bloody hell, why are you still here?"

   "Where are you rushing off to?"

   "None of your business."

   "Are you going to my house today?"

   "No, you're going to make me late, I really have to go."

   He grabbed my shoulders and straightened me up before sighed and beginning his sentence again.

   "Where are you going? Where have you been going?"

   "I haven't been going anywhere, you must be going mad. Now if you'll excuse me..."

   I tried to dodge around his arms but he kept too firm of a grasp on me. Snape was standing at the end of the corridor tapping his foot impatiently. Great, now Draco was getting me in trouble before I even left.

   "Parkinson has been quite annoyed with your mysterious disappearances... to go see your mother?"

   "I haven't seen my mother in months. Move!"

   "What's the rush?"

   "I have things to do, things that don't involve you. Not everything is about you, Malfoy. Seriously, get out of here and find something better to do."

   Snape finally ran out of patience and grabbed Draco by the neck, pulling him off of me and shoving him down the corridor. I followed silently after Snape, ignoring Draco's whines and confused look. He was such a drama queen, it was the most annoying thing about him.

   "We don't have time for you and Malfoy to get all friendly," he mumbled.

   "I'm sorry, he was asking where I was going, sir."

   "Did you disclose your assignment?"

   "Well I don't even know what it is, so obviously not."

   "Attitude, Slater."

   "Right... sorry."

We walked quickly down to Hogsmeade, exiting the castle seemingly unnoticed. Snape pulled me down the alley and apparated us before I had a chance to gain my balance.
-
The two of us appeared in front of Malfoy Manor, I tripped but saved myself right before I crashed to the ground. Snape scoffed at me before opening the iron gates and leading me to the front door. He rapped on the front door then took a step back, waiting for it to open. When it did, Mr. Malfoy stood before us. I always felt so small and insignificant standing around both of these men separately, it was hell standing with them together.

"Miss Slater, come in," Mr. Malfoy said coolly.

I thanked Professor Snape for bringing me before stepping past Mr. Malfoy and entering his home. Draco's mother was reading a book in the sitting from and glanced over to the new commotion coming from the front door. She sprang up when she saw me and walked over gracefully, striding across the expensive floor.

"Alora, how good to see you," she smiled.

"And you, thank you for having me here while I wait. I really appreciate it."

"Oh, of course, any time you need we are happy to have you."

"Thank you, Mrs. Malfoy.

   "Bellatrix should be here in about an hour and a half, you can head up to the room you stayed in last month if you'd like to wait there."

   "I will, thank you."

   I walked up the stairs that lead to the corridor with the guest room quickly, I didn't want to have to make conversation with Draco's father... he terrified me. When I passed Draco's room, I felt instantly guilty. He didn't have to know what I was doing, it was none of his business, but I felt bad lying to him.

   Let's just hope today goes well, all you can do is take everything as it comes.