#59 | Nyctophobia ✿ Jerry x Fem!Reader

✿ ✿ ✿

Requested: yes!

Title: "Nyctophobia"

Pairing: Jerry x Female Reader

Warnings: none

✿ ✿ ✿

From her comfortable spot in bed she can discern the all-familiar bright dots of light scattered around her room, one by one she located them lazily; sleep had begun to take over her, however not enough to lull her into the world of dreams just yet

First, she found the small red dot of the TV, shining somewhat ominously by the door; then, the soft carmine hue provided by the dark red light bulb from inside her aquarium, near the corner of the room; last, the silvery rays of moonlight, creeping in through the window blinds.

Those light sources were more than enough for her to be able to go to sleep without having nightmares. If she had complete darkness all around her, it would make her panic; her fear of the dark was not something to be joking about. Ever since she was little, a light source, big or small, always had to be on at nighttime. Always. It was the only way she'd feel safe enough that she could actually fall asleep.

After she went over all the light sources once more, (y/n) closed her eyes softly, feeling ready to sleep peacefully throughout the night.

Perhaps an hour, or two had passed when she opened her eyes again, just a tad. Enough to see all the light sources still there, except for one: the moonlight rays had disappeared. The soft pitter-patter of rain had taken over the calm, quiet atmosphere instead. (y/n) didn't mind it.

After closing her eyes again, she concentrated on the raindrops hitting the window, on the soothing sounds it provided—just like having a light on, it helped her go back to sleep.

Until the soft drizzle became louder, and louder, and turned into a heavy downpour within minutes.

(y/n)'s automatic response was to open her eyes again; just in time to hear a loud roar of thunder. And another. And, another.

Not even a minute after, the lights went out.

The TV no longer had that small red dot on, neither the aquarium gave off that nice carmine hue anymore. Complete darkness had taken over the room so quickly, and unexpectedly it made (y/n) jump up slightly in bed. Her hands clenched tightly the warm blanket and sheets, her eyes now remained wide open as they fruitlessly darted around, desperately looking for any source of light on which to focus.

When she couldn't find any, and the thunderstorm continued to rage on, she began to shiver. Her fear of the dark finally taking its toll on her, messing with her mind; any sound became a threat, including the bad weather outside. It all only made her shuddering even worse.

And this did not go unnoticed.

Jerry didn't need sleep—he was an android, after all. However, he absolutely loved to lay down with (y/n) at night, to have her snuggle into his chest, and fall asleep right there, in his arms. He knew having him so close made her feel safe, too.

Tonight was no exception.

He instantly awoke from stasis mode the second he felt (y/n)'s shivering form tremble quite noticeably in his embrace. When he analyzed the situation, he realized what was happening; all lights had gone out, and darkness reigned all over.

His reaction was almost immediate. Gently, he sneaked one of his arms around so his hand came to rest near her face. With ease, he projected a hologram on the palm of his hand; a simple picture of a beach at sundown. The hologram itself gave off a nice, bright light, more than enough to illuminate almost the whole bed; it became the only light source in the room.

A sigh of relief sounded right after, as her shivering gradually disappeared.

"Thank you, Jerry." (y/n) murmured, shifting around so she lied now facing him, with a smile on her face. With the hologram still lighting up the place, she had it easy to see Jerry's visage, and the happy grin that tugged at his lips.

"Anything for you."

Her smile widened as she leaned in, pressing her forehead against his gently as a sigh of content left her lips. Jerry's grin never faded away—he loved this.

He scooted closer to her, if that was possible, and held her close all night—always keeping the hologram on, just in case. Although she didn't need it at all after that: she fell asleep almost instantly, with Jerry keeping her safe from the dark.