0.5 | It's My Turn

March 21st

March 21st

What day is it? What time is it? What year is it?

My mind is a jumbled mess as I run through the city streets. Cars honk and drive past, the city still awake. The rain pours down as lightning cracks across the sky. Thunder follows shortly after, my feet pounding on the concrete. My hair is wet and sticking to my face while my clothes stick to my slick body.

I don't have a phone, I'm barely dressed, and it's difficult to see through the rain with it pouring down like it is.

People rush through the rain, trying to get to their destinations. Some just wander, an umbrella over their heads. I come up to the large wooden doors, ready to see my family's faces again, but what shocks me is what's on the door.

A chain and yellow CAUTION tape block the door.

The hell?

I don't have time to see why it's there. I tear the caution tape and hold my hand to the chains. I don't have enough strength to break it yet. The chains break after I electrocute it and I run inside, ready to get out of the downpour.

I walk inside, studying my surroundings. The furniture is old and worn down, looking as if it hasn't been used in ages. Wood lays on the ground, destroyed from its original structure, and the water in the fountain is green and moldy.

"Mom? Dad?" I call, looking around. Everything is torn up, destroyed. I run up the broken stairs to the second floor, avoiding as much wood as I possibly can with bare feet. "Hope?!" I yell, running to her bedroom. It, too, is destroyed. Ravaged through. "Aunt Freya! Aunt Rebekah!" I yell again, running up the second flight of steps. "Uncle Elijah! Uncle Kol!" My voice cracks as I look around the house that was once filled with light.

All of the rooms have been destroyed and ravaged, the beds torn and ripped. I run towards my room, my room the same as the rest. My hand moves to touch his necklace, but I don't feel it around my neck. I gasp, feeling around my neck.

"No, no, no, no, no, no." I whisper as I run into my room. I step around the broken wood, toward my broken nightstand. I look through it, trying to find my box, but I don't find it anywhere. I rip the broken drawer out of the nightstand frame, throwing it at a wall as it shatters.

"Damn it!" I yell. I retrace my steps, walking to the opposite side of my bed. I move wood around, looking for the floorboard I need. When I find it, I pull it up, the other box I keep hidden inside. I grab it and open the box, moving things around. Everything I put in there is there, but the one thing I need is not. "No." I whisper, my eyes welling with tears.

It's gone. I lost his necklace. I was warned not to go after Jeremy alone, and I did.

I wipe the tears that fell and place the board back in its regular spot. There's no time for crying.

I stand up and open my closet. My clothes no longer rest on the hangers, but on the floor. They're all dirty and torn. I crouch down and move my clothes around. I find a pair of my boots that are still in somewhat good shape and slip them on. I walk over to my torn up dresser, opening the drawers. My clothes are the same as in my closet, a lot of them are not even inside.