23. | Familiar Routine

What happened in the hotel room all seems like a blur

What happened in the hotel room all seems like a blur. I remember passing out. I also remember hearing Blade tell me to wake up. I did, of course. But she couldn't tell. I heard some of their conversation, but not much.

The most clear thing I recall was Blade's cry of pain. It echoed in the silence of the room, echoed louder than my drumming heartbeat.

I remember grabbing the dagger I had knocked off of her nightstand and driving it through the lunatic who tried to kill her. I recall, all too distinctly, the ever-consuming fear that I had been too late.

I felt a current of relief the minute Alex was pinned to that wall.

And when they left the room, it was just us. She knew what she was, I saw it in her eyes.

I've always noticed the chains around her neck, but I never knew what hung from them. She hid them under her clothing, concealing them. But for the first time, I got a closer gander. She wore multiple, three from the looks of it.

My brain still ponders over the familiarity of the necklace. It was a crescent moon with a single, glowing gem that hung from the top, dangling in the middle. I've seen it before, but from where?

The door opens as Nik sets a blueprint on the table. Santiago stands beside him – clad in a black suit and pants, white undershirt, with black tie – his arms crossed across his chest. Alex sits beside me, his legs manspread.

Blade steps into the room, her dress the color of midnight. It reaches the floor, a slit going up her right leg. Her torso is clothed in a black, long sleeve, v-neck top, a belt wrapping itself around her waist. Her feet are in a pair of black stilettos. One strap wraps around her ankle, the other around the top of her feet, her toes peeking out.

Her heels click against the hardfloor, her hands in her pockets. "We ready to get this show on the road?" She questions.

"We're just gonna go over a few things." Nik states. "Take a seat." He gestures to the armchair that was pulled over before she came in.

She takes a single step but stumbles. She would've fallen if my arm hadn't caught her. "Mm." She grunts, standing up straight and rolling her head, squaring her shoulders. "I think I'll work in my new shoes." She steps away from me and paces behind Santiago and Nik.

She stumbles more than a couple times, but she catches her footing after a growl of frustration.

"Okay, so, we'll wait at the side exit as Miss Marshall gets inside. It'll take about twenty minutes." He explains. "When we get in, we stay low. Don't make a ruckus. We don't need them finding out we're here. Lillian goes up on stage, we grab her, and get out."

"There's a hole in that plan." Blade speaks, our attention turning to the women dressed completely in black. "How exactly are we going to get her out? There are going to be guards. Men with guns. We have to manage to break her free, and run. That's not exactly easy."