52. | A Madden Gone Mad

Blade lays beside me, naked under the sheets, asleep

Blade lays beside me, naked under the sheets, asleep. Her hair is disheveled and she has dark, purple bruises on her neck and collarbone.

I can't help it, reaching over and sliding her hair off her shoulder, revealing more of her skin. She hums in her sleep before flipping over, facing me. Her hair falls in her face and I push it behind her ear, her head digging further into the pillow.

I blow out a breath, laying down beside her. I allow myself to relax, my eyes closing as I sink into the darkness, Blade beside me.

***

When I wake up in the morning, Blade's not in bed, and her clothes are gone.

My brows furrow as I lift my head, confused. I climb out of bed, walking to the closet to get dressed, before I walk downstairs.

I look around, but I can't find her. I walk toward Nikolai's office, in case she's inside. Opening the door, I find her scrambling through Nik's stuff. "What are you doing?"

She looks up, down, back up, back down. "Nothing." She doesn't stop looking.

"We, uh, gonna talk about last night?" I lean against the door frame, my arms crossed.

"What's there to talk about?" She ducks down, searching his drawers.

"There's plenty to talk about. You really going to act like nothing happened?"

She stands up, slamming her hands against the desk. "We had sex. It was a one-night stand. A one time thing." She affirms. "That's it."

"I'm holding you to that." I point a finger, my arms still crossed. "But fine. If that's how you want to play, fine."

She stands up straight, her arms shooting out at her sides in exclamation. "What do you want me to say? That it was magical? That it was the best I ever had? That I want it to happen again?" She stares at me wide-eyed. "It was a one time thing, got it? It meant nothing."

I flex my jaw, nodding to myself. "Fine."

I leave, listening as things clatter to the floor, her yell of frustration, "Fuck!"