4. | A Meeting for Tea

Me and Angel walk through the city, drinks in our hands

Me and Angel walk through the city, drinks in our hands. "New Orleans has had quite the change, hasn't it?" Angel asks.

I shrug. "It's not that much different. It's kind of the same." I take a sip of my tea. "Mm, question, where did you go after I disappeared?"

"I was dying without your energy. I needed to figure out how to survive without your body." She explains.

"Why not just use Xander?"

"I was assigned you. You're most likely to cause trouble or do something horrendous. Xander wasn't. Free-souls can't just pick who they feed off of. They're assigned people."

"That makes no sense. You said that free-souls can also walk the earth."

"Yes. Until someone is assigned." I slowly nod, taking a sip of my drink as someone bumps into my shoulder. The liquid goes down the wrong pipe, causing me to choke. I break out into a coughing fit as I hear something colliding with one another.

"I'm so sorry!" A female voice exclaims as I slowly calm down. "Are you okay?" I feel a hand on my shoulder as I press a hand to my throat. I stand up straight, catching my breath, and I look at who bumped into me.

A red-head girl – who looks to be about sixteen – stares at me with worry. Despite her bright blue eyes, her eyes seem to be dull. Yet, I recognize them.

Lilly.

"Are you okay?" She asks again, and I slowly nod.

"Aye! I found her!" Someone yells, and her eyes light up with panic. She rushes to the ground, quickly picking up books that she must've dropped. She mutters something to herself, but it's too low to hear. A group of boys walk toward us, but I move into their path. "Move, lady." The same boy orders.

"What do you want with her?" I ask, crossing my arms.

"We just want to talk." The leader says with a chuckle, looking around at the other boys.

"How old are you?" I ask with a straight face.

"Eighteen... Why?" He asks, confused.

"Good. You're not a minor anymore." I state, grabbing his throat and pinning him to the wall. I hear many people gasp. "Tell me. Why are you and your goons following her around?" I ask. "And don't bother saying you just want to talk."

I feel a hand on my wrist. "Let him go." Lilly says in a soft voice. "He's just trying to be cool."

"By bullying you?"

"Just let him go." She whispers. Although I assumed, she didn't deny it.

"Fine." I slowly let go. "But this is your only warning."

"And if I don't listen?"

"I will hunt you down, and you will end up with more than a bruise around your neck. Don't underestimate me. I have resources." I whisper, tapping his cheek before walking away.