74. | Deja Vu

Ev lays her head on my chest as we both lie on the bed

Ev lays her head on my chest as we both lie on the bed. She laces our fingers together and I slide my fingers up and down her arm.

"Oh," She suddenly says, lifting her head to remove something. "Here's your ring back."

She sets it in my palm. So that's where it went. "When'd you get it?"

"I, uh, swiped it...from your body while I was crying over it." She smiles, embarrassed.

I smile. "Well, at least I know I didn't lose it." She looks like she wants to say something, but doesn't. She lays back down on my chest. I press a kiss to the top of her head, enjoying the way she feels in my arms. "What about the bracelet I gave you?"

She turns her head and grins at me. "I kept it." She peels away from me, and I frown. She jumps up but sits back down. I'm beside her in an instant. "I'm fine. Just a little woozy." She explains on a breath.

I don't believe her for a second. "She's killing you. Isn't she?"

She looks me in the eye and smiles, but I can see the fakeness in it. "I promise. I'm fine."

"Give me your word." Her eyes widen. "Give me your word, and I'll leave you alone about it." She blinks at me. I raise my eyebrows, daring her to speak.

She opens her mouth slightly but she closes it. Because she can't. She won't give me her word, knowing she'll break it. With as much time as I've spent around her family, I know she picks up after many of them.

"That's what I thought." She looks down, away. "You need to find her." I say softly, concerned.

"I can't. I've already tried." She mumbles.

"You know her. I know you can find her." I swipe some hair behind her ear, out of her face, and over her shoulder.

"I wish that were true." She whispers, wringing her fingers together.

I press a kiss to her temple. "You don't believe in yourself. You have to have faith." I whisper to her.

She turns her head to me and I kiss her, slow and gentle. One of her hands cups my cheeks as her lips meld with mine, fitting together like pieces of a missing puzzle. My hand cups the back of her neck, pulling her closer.

She pulls away, putting her forehead to mine. She pecks my lips a few times, but she leans away and presses a hand to her mouth. She's gone within seconds, bursting into the bathroom.

I chase after her as she vomits in the toilet bowl. I grab her hair in one hand and create a makeshift ponytail. Or, at least try to.

I press a hand to her forehead. "Jesus, Ev. You're burning up." She leans back against the wall, wiping at her mouth. "Come on. Let's get you to bed."

I help her up, even as she says, "No, no. The bracelet."

"It's fine. I know it's safe with you." I wrap my arms around the back of her knees, lifting her into my arms.