2. | Those Who Don't Want to be Found

The wind plays with my hair as I walk down the sidewalk, to one of the stores a couple streets away from the French Quarter

The wind plays with my hair as I walk down the sidewalk, to one of the stores a couple streets away from the French Quarter. I walk inside the store, throwing open the door, and begin to look around.

My fingers skim candies, and toys for the kids, but only one thing catches my eye.

I walk toward the glass case filled with knives. They range from different ones: pocket knives, daggers, curved blades. Really, all of the knives under the Blade category.

I look around, not seeing any workers. I shrug and climb over the counter. Hopping down, I land in a crouch before I stand up to my full height, turning to the case. This side is open, so I reach inside and grab a silver dagger with a golden hilt. I grab the cover for the blade and cover it, before stuffing it inside my beige leather jacket.

I honestly think I have a thing for leather...

I grab another knife, this time it's a plain knife.

It'll end up with my initials carved into it later.

"Excuse me, I need your help." A man says, standing on the other side of the case.

I slowly look up, exhaling through my nose, annoyed. "Does it look like I work here?" I ask him, my voice dripping in annoyance. I roll my eyes, grabbing one more knife.

"Hey!" Someone yells, and I snap my head up, turning to them. "Thief!" A worker yells, catching the attention of other people as he points to me.

"Shit." I hiss to myself. I quickly run out of the area I jumped into. I move to run to the door, but two burly men block it. "Oh, son of a bitch." I whisper, looking at the giant metal bats they have in their hands. I spin around, taking off for the back of the store. I run through aisles as they yell to one another.

The shelves on both sides of me begin to fall and I vamp-speed out in time for it to crash down, but I trip over an item, falling to the ground. I push the top half of my body up as people continue to yell.

"Vampire!" One yells.

"Grab the vervain!" Another orders.

I scramble to my feet, bursting through the back entrance that leads to the back alley. The door clicks shut, only for it to burst open again. "Get her!" Someone yells as I run out into the street, ignoring the oncoming cars. I manage to not get hit, the cars all screeching to a halt as the men chase after me.

"Ay! Stay out of the streets!" A man yells, but I continue to run.

As I run, I tap on my earpiece, that's currently invisible to the naked eye, unmuting myself. "Kenji! I need your help." I state, turning a corner.

"Jesus Christ. You actually went through with it?!" He shouts into the ear-com.

"Help me, Kenji! I need to lose them." I state, and I hear him sigh.