40. | Christmas Decorating

There are loud noises

There are loud noises. Boisterous noises. Noises one should not be hearing at ten in the morning.

I grab my pillow and cover my ears, trying to drown out the noise and get what little sleep I can. But the effort is in vain.

I groan into the mattress before climbing out of bed. I throw open my door, the noise getting louder. I groan again.

I walk down the stairs, squinting my eyes to the sudden light change. I'm also partially asleep.

People are running around, yelling frantically and I wipe one of my eyes. I open my eyes enough to see

Lilly's practically bouncing around. "Hey," I call, my voice groggy and rough. When no one hears me, I call again, but the same thing happens. "Hey!" I yell, frustrated.

Everyone freezes and Lilly spins around to me. "Grace!" She exclaims, rushing up to me.

"It's ten in the morning. Why is there so much noise?" I barely keep my eyes open.

"It's December! And we haven't decorated!" She exclaims. "No! Leave the tree bare, we're going to decorate it." She commands.

"Lilly," She's still commanding. "Lilly," I wipe my other eye. "Lilly," I place my hands on her shoulders, refocusing her attention on me. I try to keep my eyes open, but I'm exhausted. "It's the second. You've got twenty-three more days."

"I know. But it's better to get it done now instead of putting it off!" She grins.

It's too early for this.

I exhale before making my way back up the stairs. I bypass my bedroom and walk down the hall, toward the room I've been in only once. I open the door, hearing the shower run. I ignore it and walk to the bed with silky black bed sheets. I fall face forward onto the bed, the only noise being the shower.

I lift the comforter and curl into the sheets, my body instantly falling asleep to the lull of the shower, as weird as it may sound.

The hot water cascades down my back as I run my hands through my hair, dipping my head back and letting the water run over me.

Today's a Thursday, which means I have a ton of paperwork I need to do. I have to work on getting the guys, Lilly, and Blade to Italy before the ball – per Lilly's request.