43. | A Piano and a Dance

Exploring the hotel, I admire the pieces of art hung on the walls

The place is beautiful. Nothing like I'd ever expect.

I don't know where Killian and the others are, but I enjoy being alone. It's peaceful, not having someone watch your every move.

I hear the sound of a piano playing in the distance and follow the noise down the hall. I follow it until I reach a room with a cracked door.

Peeking inside, I see Killian playing the piano. His face is scrunched slightly in focus as his hands move across the keyboard.

The song is beautiful.

I slowly inch inside and walk up to the piano. He misses a note and bangs on the keyboard, frustrated. He closes the lid and puts his elbows on top, his hands together against his mouth. "Didn't know this place had a music room." I speak, my voice soft.

He exhales, not surprised to see me, as if he knew I was already here. "This place has almost everything." He mutters.

I walk around the instrument, taking baby steps. "How long've you been playing?"

He still hasn't looked at me. "Few years." His voice is low, quiet.

"What was the song?"

He huffs a laugh from his nostrils. "Why? You wanna make fun of me?" This time, he looks at me.

I shake my head. "No." I sit down beside him and he scooches down, giving me room. "Play it." I gesture to the piano. He stares at me for a long moment, and I stare back. Finally, he sighs and lifts the lid, revealing the keyboard.

His hands move leisurely across the keyboard as the song starts off slow. It gradually progresses, its beauty being revealed like it had been concealed, hidden behind a curtain that collected dust.

He focuses on the piano, trying hard to keep moving without error. But in the end, he does.

He grunts, frustrated and slightly embarrassed. I place my hands on one of his. He glances at me. "You're forcing it." I whisper. "Relax. Let yourself fall into the music." I stare into his piercing eyes.

"How am I supposed to 'fall into' the music?" He requotes me.

"Don't force it. Let the music be your guide." He glances back and forth between my eyes before sighing. I remove my hands and he exhales a breath, releasing the tension in his shoulders. He begins again, starting slow and building.

No matter how many times I hear this song, I don't think I could ever get tired of it. It's a beautiful song, heavenly. It's almost...hypnotizing.

He closes his eyes, letting his fingers move across the keyboard. His movements are graceful, relaxed, and I can't help the small smile that simmers on my lips.

When it comes to an end, I can't help but feel disappointed. I wish it weren't over.

"What's the song?"