45. | Forgotten Hobby

I walk back into the casino, Lilly beside me and Killian behind

I walk back into the casino, Lilly beside me and Killian behind. I move toward the drinks, but Killian is intercepting me, turning me, as Lilly pulls me away. "Hey!" I exclaim. They drag me back to the table and Killian forces me to sit down.

Lilly plops down in the seat beside me. "So, don't get mad, but," I twist my head to her. "I may have signed you up to sing."

I blink once, my eyes wide. "What?"

"Relax! I've heard you sing before, and you're really good." She exclaims in an effort to prevent me from getting upset.

I nod to myself, my eyes wide and my brows furrowed. "Yeah. In the confines of my bedroom! Not in front of thousands of people who don't even speak English!"

"So, you can fight, but singing is a no?" She asks, confused.

I glare. "I don't sing."

"Why not?"

"Because I don't sing!" I shout. "Singing is in the past." I lean back, crossing my arms.

Killian places a hand on my arm but removes it when I snap my glare to him. "Just...ease up on her."

Lilly sighs. "Look, if you do one song, I won't ask you to do it again. Just...one song." She's pleading. I blow out a breath. She looks at Killian. "Killian?"

"What?" He looks at her confused. She gives him a look that he seems to understand. "Wha– No."

"Please."

He presses his eyes shut and sighs. "Fine." He turns to me. "When we get back, I'll show you where Nik keeps the liquor." I raise a brow. "Promise."

"I want your word." I stare blankly at him.

"M– My what?"

"Your word."

"What's the difference?"

I lean forward. "A promise is always broken. So, give me...your word." I speak the words slowly.

He sighs, rolling his eyes. "Fine. I give you my word."

I give him a tight lipped smile. "Good." My smile drops. "But if you break your word, I'll break you." He nods, and I stand.

Lilly leads me to where I need to go and I pick the song – Love You Better by The Haunt. I'm given an ear piece and then Lilly is pushing me onto stage. I stumble but catch myself. I glare at Lilly then inch toward the mic.

There's a band behind me, who slowly begin to play the music. I glance at Lilly who's jumping up and down, beaming at me. Let go, she mouths to me, and I nod, turning back to the crowd.

I can't love you anymore

The band behind me vocalizes as I sing.

And I have tried to