8. | "...should've done your research..."

I mumble a string of curses under my breath as I lock the doors to the coffee shop

I mumble a string of curses under my breath as I lock the doors to the coffee shop. I put the keys in the pocket of my trench coat that I left here by accident the other day.

"Men, I swear." I mutter as I place my hands in my pockets. There are few cars out, most of them parked on the sides of the streets, out in front of houses. Very few drive through here as I walk down the street.

I take my phone out and dial Kenji's number. I know he's still awake.

He answers quickly. "Hey, you off work?"

"Yeah. I hate closing. It's like he expects me to walk home." I roll my eyes.

"Didn't you drive?"

"Yeah, but the streets were crowded as hell, so I had to park a little ways away." I explain.

"Was the shop busy?"

"No, thankfully." I sigh, kicking pebbles I find on the sidewalk.

"How was it with Lilly?"

"Great." A smile takes over my face. "She reminds me of when I was younger. Reading books, staying quiet, living happily. She gets this sparkle in her eye whenever she talks about something she likes. She's grown so much. She's become a strong, beautiful young woman." I whisper. "She even asked me to show her my knife tricks. How cool is that?" I ask, a grin on my face.

"Sounds amazing, Grace." He mumbles, sounding distracted.

"Kenji?"

"Yeah, I'm here."

"What are you doing?" I question, slowing my pace.

"Will you be mad at me if I tell you?"

"Depends. What are you doing?"

"Well, ever since this Lilly was brought up, I was curious and I decided to do some research." He admits sheepishly.

"You dug around the internet about my daughter?" I ask in disbelief.

"I was curious! Besides, you never tell me anything about yourself, so asking you wouldn't have done any good!" He exclaims.

"The less you know, the less you can have over me."

"Well, I found a few things about her. She had verbally abusive parents, but her dad suddenly died not long after she ran away."

"It was a murder, and I'm the one who did it." I declare.

"No surprise there." He mutters. "She had a therapist apparently, but she stopped visiting him when she started making claims that he was being inappropriate." At that, I stop in my tracks.

He began to talk again, but I talked over him, "Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. She reported him being inappropriate?"

"Yeah. Of course, no one believed her. This girl's been through a hell of a lot of trouble just from below the age of ten." He clarifies.