39. | Hypocritical

It's been months since everything happened

It's been months since everything happened. It's now December.

When I got discharged from the hospital, Killian had me on bed rest. He wouldn't let me do anything, aside from use the restroom. I barely slept, no matter how much Killian begged me to.

Ari's grown accustomed to her new home, her room is set up, and she's finally getting the right attention she needs. Her and Lilly are always together. Always playing with dolls, watching TV together. It's nice, seeing them as sisters.

Aside from everything else, I haven't had much luck with any of my other family members. He hid them a lot better than I expected.

As of now...

"A ball? Seriously?" I stare at him in disbelief and discomfort. "I mean, what is the point?"

"Look, it's just for two days." He says as he's leaning against his desk.

"But why two days? Shouldn't it be one night?" I query with my legs on his couch, one crossed over the other and my arm over the back, holding up my head.

"The first night is Serata d'azzardo." He explains.

I wave a hand in the air. "Am I just...supposed to know what that means?"

He sighs. "It's Italian for Gambling Night. Men and women gamble all night—"

"Yeah. Doesn't take a genius to figure that one out." I roll my eyes.

"And," He gives me a harsh look for interrupting him. "They have a sparring ring. Men are able to fight for a chance to win money and people get to watch." He shrugs.

"What about women?"

"What about them?"

"Do they get to spar?" I raise a brow, tilting my head down slightly.

"The Italians aren't too...keen on women participating in activities as such." He bobs his head to the side, crossing his arms.

I scoff, removing my arm. "You're kidding." I furrow my eyebrows, pressing my teeth together as I stare at him. He shakes his head. "And if I were to jump into the ring?" I raise a brow.

"You'd most likely be dragged out." He shrugs.

I roll my eyes. "You'd need a giant to grab me before I'd allow myself to be dragged." He raises a brow back at me. "You do remember I took out twenty men on my own, don't you?" I ask, copying his action. "Or do you have amnesia?" I squint at him.

"Oh, you mean the time Lilly almost died because of you." He uses one hand to point at an invisible spot on the floor.

I place my feet on hard ground, pushing myself to my feet. "Lilly could've protected herself."

"Could she have?"

"Yes."

"And how do you know that?"