7. | Everything We Never Got to Know

It's been hours since I got drunk

It's been hours since I got drunk. And since I went to the past.

Everything that happened is still circling in my head, their voices echoing.

I've been sitting in this coffee shop for about forty-five minutes. I came early just so I could ponder. About what my life has been like, what happened in the past. I just ponder.

A cup of tea sits in a paper cup in front of me, my hands connected around it.

"Stay away from my daughters!" My mom's voice echoes in my head. The events flash in my head, my nursery showing up many times.

The sun shines down on me, warming my skin, as I sit next to the large, glass windows. The door opens for the twelfth time, the bell ringing from above the door. My head rings as the sound echoes in my head. I look up, out the window, as the people around me softly chatter. A figure sits across from me, but I don't turn my head.

"You're early." Lilly's voice registers in my head, and I look at her.

I slowly nod. "Yeah. I needed a little time to just think." I shrug a little.

"I know how that feels." She lets out a light laugh. "Dad and Kill are so frustrating and secretive." She rolls her eyes.

I tilt my head to the side. "Secretive?"

"Yeah. They're always holding these secret meetings. Dad supposedly told me what they did, but I feel like there's something they're not telling me." She sighs.

"Secrets know how to tear people apart." I state, shrugging.

"Yeah." She mutters. "I'm gonna go order something to drink. I'll be right back." She says, standing up.

I nod and she walks up to the counter. I turn to the other side of the table, a book sitting there. I reach over and grab it.

Shatter Me.

What kind of book is that? Kinda sounds like me and Oliver. I would've let him shatter me if it meant he stayed.

"Do you like to read?" My head snaps up at the sound of Lilly's voice.

"Oh, uh, once upon a time..." I mutter, looking back at the book as she sits down. I set the book down on the table and take a sip of my tea. "So, you like to read?"

"Yeah. Reading's always been my thing. It allows me to escape reality." She smiles.

"I know how that feels. Wanting to escape reality, to a world with happy endings." I look at the table as I think about what that'd be like. A world where I was human. A world where me and my friends were happy.

"Not all stories have a happy ending."

"Yeah." I take a sip of my drink. "Especially mine."

"I'm sure you'll get your happy ending at some point." She shrugs with a smile.