16. | Portalling

Lilly walks around the bookstore, looking around at books

Lilly walks around the bookstore, looking around at books. She occasionally picks out one or two, but mainly puts them back.

While she's looking, I'm also looking. I look at the latest popular books. I pick up one.

Lightlark. Seems interesting.

I set it back down and walk to find Lilly. I find her in the Romance section. My fingers skim the backs of the books as I walk toward her. I catch up to her looking at one of the books on the shelves, five or six books in her arms.

"We've been in this store for, what, five minutes? And you've already got five or six books." I laugh slightly at her.

"Seven, actually." She responds with a grin.

"And you're buying all of those?" I raise a teasing eyebrow at her.

"Yep." She smiles a pearly white smile and walks away. I shake my head at her with a smile on my face and follow her to the checkout.

"Is this all for you today?" The lady behind the counter asks, taking the books that Lilly set down.

"Yes, please." She says politely. The lady smiles at her as she begins to scan the books, placing them in plastic bags. I study her, wary. Her black long-sleeve shirt pulls up slightly, allowing me to get a glimpse of her tattoo.

"Nice tattoo." I speak. Her head snaps to me, her smile fading. "Where'd you get it?" She rolls up her sleeve, allowing me to get a good look at it. A slightly angled line curls up at the top, looping. Two lines went through the middle.

"I-It's a family tattoo." She stammers.

"Cool. What does it mean?" I wait for an answer, but she doesn't give me one. I narrow my eyes at her.

"Here's your books, miss." She hands Lilly her bag of books with a fake smile.

"Thanks. Come on, Grace." She looks at me expectantly and I walk toward her, toward the door.

"Boss, I think I've found the target." I hear the lady say under her breath, my vamp-hearing catching it. I glance back, her sight on us.

"Hey, Lilly, why don't we head back to the house?" I suggest as we walk out of the store.

"Sure. I was gonna grab a drink first." She says, pointing down the sidewalk.

"Well, let's make it quick." I say, leading her to the cafe she pointed at.

Starbucks.

We make it inside and we wait in line. "Quick question," I randomly say. She hums in response. "Have you ever heard about the Mikaelson family?"

She snaps her head to me. "What about them?"

"What do you think on their disappearance?"

"Some believe it was slaughter. Others believe it was a mass kidnapping." She shrugs.