9. | Fake Relationship

"Why is she here, Nik?" I ask, standing in his office

"Why is she here, Nik?" I ask, standing in his office. He sits behind his desk, leaning back in his chair.

"I gave you a chance to pick a wife, kid. But, time's up." He shrugs.

"I told you I don't need a wife, nor do I want one." I press my hands against the desk.

"You forget where you stand, son." He stands up. "You want to become Don, you need a wife. It's part of the tradition." He glares at me.

Tradition, my ass.

"You are getting married. Keep her around you, don't, I don't care. As long as she bears you an heir."

"You want me to marry her?!" I yell. "She knows nothing of this life!"

"And she doesn't need to. All she's here for is to help you toward becoming Don." He shrugs.

"Yeah? And what if she wants me to love her? To care for her? To be there for her?" I stand up straight, crossing my arms.

He looks over my shoulder at the woman currently passed out on his black leather couch. Her hands are chained with magic resistant chains and she has a rolled up bandana wrapped around her head, covering her mouth. Lilly got her dressed – in the clothes she was taken in – and she's been asleep – or dead – ever since.

"She doesn't seem like the type." He comments.

"I can't marry her." I speak slowly, trying to get my point across.

"Why?"

"She hates me! And she's a stuck up, spoiled, little brat. You know the Acura TLX that was stolen the other day when I was out?" I ask, and he nods. "She's the one who stole it."

"We have plenty of money to buy another. I get it, Killian. You don't wanna get married." He walks around his desk to me. He places his hands on my shoulders. "I felt the same way when it was my turn to take over. But, then I met my wife. And I fell in love." At that, I let out a hollow laugh.

"I've met her. And each time, she's been a bitch. She's not someone I want to marry!" I exclaim in outrage.

"You don't want to get married at all, Killian!" He gives me a stern look. "There are rules in this mafia, and you will follow them." It's not a command, it's an order.

My jaw clenches.

The chains clink together, making me and Nik turn to the couch. Blade's eyebrows scrunch together before her eyes open, squinting from the light. She looks around in a daze, confused. She looks at her hands before they reach up, removing the bandana from her mouth. Her gaze lands on us, and when she sees me, her eyes narrow.

"Where the hell am I?" She asks.

"My house." Nik answers, leaning against his desk.

"Okay... Why am I here?" She queries, sitting up.