69. | Xyrith

"Here," Lilly pointed at a title in an old, worn book that laid on the table for everyone to look over

"Here," Lilly pointed at a title in an old, worn book that laid on the table for everyone to look over. "Xyrith."

"What is it?" Xander asked, his arms crossed over his chest.

"It's a combination of herbs mixed together and melted into a liquid. It can neutralize the poison, leveling her body back out." Lilly explained.

"I'm sensing a but." Killian spoke, one hand to his mouth with the other crossed under his elbow. Lilly opened her mouth to speak, but their heads turned at the clattering sound.

Mateo jerked straight-up, stumbling over silent words as he rubbed a hand over the back of his head. "I– Sorry." He opened, closed, opened his mouth, like a fish underwater. "I'll just—" He pointed to a spot in the doorway, away from the vase he had just broken. "Yeah." He muttered.

Killian never understood him. "Mateo," Killian called, catching his attention. "How can you act like such an idiot, yet be a mafia leader?"

"That," Mateo pointed. "Is a very good question."

The front door opened and paw prints pattered against the wooden floors. "Heya, bud." Killian pet Maxi's head as he stood on his hindlegs, leaning on Killian's legs. He was bigger than before, but he still looked like a puppy.

Isobel and Elena walked in, stopping in the doorway. Mateo gave Isobel a look, nodding his head upward. She rolled her eyes, turning back to the pup.

Killian rubbed behind his ears. "Were you a good boy?" He placed a kiss on Maxi's silky fur before he ran off, brushing past Elena's legs. "Thanks for taking him."

"It was no problem." Isobel replied with the wave of her hand.

"Mom," Elena turned to her mom. "I want a dog."

Isobel burst out a laugh. "Once you can keep your room clean, I'll think about you getting a dog." Elena slumped as Maxi barked. They all turned to find him sitting on the floor, head resting on Evelyn's side.

"As I was saying, before I was so rudely interrupted," Lilly cut a glare at Mateo, Isobel, and Elena. "Xyrith is an antidote, but it's also a poison. It can level it out, but too much can kill her just as fast as thontacin."

"Write down the ingredients and we'll go out and get them." Killian said.

"On what? The table?"

Killian gave her a glare. "Don't be a smartass." She rolled her eyes but pulled out her phone, typing on it. Then Killian's phone vibrated. He pulled it out and read the message, which held the ingredients needed.

She nodded her head toward the door. "Go."

***

Lilly jumped up from her position in the recliner at the sound of the front door opening. "Do you have all the ingredients?"

Xander and Nikolai walked in with Mateo in tow. "Not all of them." Xander replied.

"We were attacked." Nikolai explained simply.

"What? By who?"

"Jeremy."

Lilly's brows furrowed. "Who?"

"Jeremy. The one who tried to kill your mom." Xander told her. "He must've found out that we're trying to heal her."

"He kidnapped Killian." Mateo spoke.

"How—" Lilly was cut off as Evelyn's eyes flew open, a burst of energy vibrating the house. Nikolai, Xander, and Mateo all flew back, Lilly thrown over the recliner, knocking it over and falling against the wall, unconscious.

Evelyn sat up and climbed off the couch, walking to the door. Nikolai sat up on his elbows, wincing. "Evelyn Grace!" He yelled in a stern voice, as if it would stop her.

She didn't budge.

"Evelyn!"

With a flick of her wrist, Nikolai fell silent, collapsing back to the floor. And she was gone.